I'm using a mail handler to poin to a mail server sticking to a enterprise Google E-Mail box via Secure POP. Delay I set is 1 (min.).
From time to time my users told me that tickets were triggered hours to one day after receiving the new e-mails.
The workaround I found to temporarily fix and avoid the problem is to regularly (bi-weekly or monthly) reactive the POP of the e-mail box. Afterwards, it will work well as expected again for a while. (The weird part is I have multiple mail handlers. Each matches to a JIRA project. However, the symptom doesn't happen to all of them.)
Does anyone know the root cause or like to give me advice? Thanks in advance.
Thanks for your response.
Here you go. Should I add more?
|Total Memory||3959 MB|
|Free Memory||2238 MB|
|Used Memory||1721 MB|
|Total PermGen Memory||768 MB|
|Free PermGen Memory||269 MB|
|Used PermGen Memory||498 MB|
|PermGen Memory Graph||
|Non-Heap Memory Graph (includes PermGen)||
This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.Read more
Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs