Issue Links field in Jira Portfolio

Ward_Ward June 16, 2020

In our issues we use "Issue Links" and select "relates to" some other issue on another board. How can I get this to display in Jira Portfolio for the stories displayed?

1 answer

0 votes
Matt June 16, 2020

Hey Ward,

Are you wanting to show dependencies between issues? If so, only the 'Blocks' and 'is blocked by' Issue links currently show dependant events within Portfolio for Jira.

If you're looking to show parent lineage, you can use the 'Parent Link' field.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Matt

Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2020

I would also add that you can add other issue link types to be registered by Portfolio (there is a Portfolio Dependencies menu for global admins to access), but it is specifically related to blocking and scheduling. "Relates to" is not - strictly name speaking - indication of issue blockers or the need to reschedule.

As far as I'm aware you will not be able to show issue links in Portfolio, because Portfolio is more concerned about the hierarchical structure and releases as whole.

So it comes down to what "relates to" means for you -- if it is something to be used for Portfolio scheduling, then I would advice rather to switch over to "blocks" and leave "relates to" as is, because since this dependency setting is global, it could get confusing for all other users very quickly and it would disrupt their plans if you toggle it on without checking in with others.

If you are only looking to have the links shown on plans for information purposes, then I'm afraid it isn't possible to my knowledge. Though I can imagine some use cases in there so it might be a feature request or maybe something already on Atlassian backlog already.

Tony G April 25, 2021

All the above are valid use cases, however in our case we just want to show the linked issues in one, similar to how they display in the Jira search results.

Reason for it is that we use Jira portfolio to look at the issues in all our Current sprints, and they might be linked to issues in other projects.

It would be great if this enhancement could be added, Portfolio is already an amazing tool.

Suggest an answer