Issue Level Security per issue type?

Scott McDonald August 22, 2017

Hello - 

My project has 5 issue types.  Am I able to set the issue level secuirty to one specific issue type or does the scheme inherently apply to all issues within the project?

Thank you,
Scott

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2017

I think I've done it with a custom scripted post function on the create transition in the workflow.

"if issue_type = Bug: set security level to X"

Scott McDonald August 24, 2017

thank you

Mari Car December 6, 2017

Hi Matt Doad, 

I have the same problem. I have different workflows.

On the Post functions tab, you can see any post functions that have already been set. In this case I want to set a new one " Set issue security level" by create transition. How can I get it? 

Thank you very much in advance & best Regards

Mari

1 vote
Ro December 27, 2017

Hi, I have achieved this requested feature with the current Cloud version (as of the date of this comment) without using code or any post functions on the workflows. Vary these base instructions to suit your needs.

Jira Cloud – enable Specific Issue Types to be seen/used by specific group/users

Scenario: I wanted some Issue Types (let's call them Private Issue types, I had 3 of these private Issue Types) to be restricted and only viewable by internal staff and not by third party users.

Solution:

This assumes you are familiar with customising Jira - see the Jira help guides as required.

1, From Jira Administration (cloud based Jira), go to the "Issues" tab.

2, I created my own “Issue Type Schemes” that has all the Issue types that I use including my customised Issue types.

3, I created 1 "Screens" (This Screen (Configure Screen) and only this Screen has the field "Security Level) and 1 "Screen Scheme" for just these Private Issue Types. The other Issue Types have their own “Screen” and “Screen Scheme”.

4, On "Issue Type Screen Schemes", I have a specific "Issue Type Screen Schemes" that I’m using/have created for all my projects. On this "Issue Type Screen Schemes" I have set the individual Private Issue Types to use the "Screen Scheme" that's just been created above. The other Issue Types use their own Schemes.

5, I created a single "Field Configurations" for just these Private issue Types and ensured 'Security Level' field is being used. Set it so that it’s not Mandatory. Check that no other (including "Default Field Configuration") "Field Configurations" are using the field "Security Level". Also check no other “Screen” apart from the one created above are using “Security Level” field. I have just the one "Field Configuration Schemes".

6, I have created an "Issue Security Scheme" - this has just the one "Security Level" - It's set to use my "Internal Project Role" only and this is also the "Default" Security level for this "Issue Security Scheme".

7, I have previously created my own "Permissions scheme" where I have the Internal and separate third party user "Project Roles" setup. The important bit is the Internal users are set using the "Internal Project Role" and third party users are set to use the third party project roles, under Project settings> People> Role. These two project roles are my only roles that have the "Browse Project" Permission. Setting Jira like this makes it more secure as I think the default setup allows any user to see any project. My “third Party project role” is more restrictive than the “Internal Project Role”.

I have tried and tested the above after pulling my hair out one evening and it works!! I hope I’ve not missed a step in the above instructions. I did review the steps but have not created brand new Config/setup from scratch using the above instructions.

Don't forget you can make retrospective "Bulk" field changes to Jira Issues as required to help conform to the above. I use a "Master" template project that has all the above Config and my other projects now have the same Config as the “Master” project. When creating a new project and assuming I need the same security as above, then I use the "Create with shared configuration" feature and base the new project on my "Master" project. So ensure all projects that need this security – have all the above Config.

Good luck,

Ro

Arundhati Kailasnath August 19, 2020

Hi Ro - does this also prevent this issue type from being shown in searches and filters?

Thanks,

Aru

Suggest an answer