Issue Key Values

Ruth Dunkerley September 5, 2017

Hi ,

Just a quick question; is there a set top value to the issue key? 

I know it is a sequential value which increases each time a new issue is added to a project but how many numeral places does this go to? For example I currently have projects in the hundreds (ENG - 675) but will this then go to four digits when we reach the 1000th issue (ENG - 1000) or does it go back to ENG- 1?

Please let me know. 

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2017

Hi Ruth

The Atlassian Jira, that we can raise issues on, is well into the 10,000s so we're definitely good to at least 99,999. I wouldn't generally think you'd need more than that

Ruth Dunkerley September 5, 2017

Thanks Warren, so after that would it go back around to 1?

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2017

I would think not, but I can't say for certain - I've never gone above 9999 with any of my projects. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2017

Heh.  The largest number the table can store is 999,999,999,999,999,999 - you're going to run into all sorts of other problems well before you exhaust that range.  It wouldn't wrap back to 1 though, the code will simply say it cannot increment the counter any more and not let you create a new issue.

Suggest an answer