Issue Creation from Email

Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

While creating issue from email, CC'ed users are added in watcher lists, but do not get notification from jira although Watcher I have added watchers to get notified in notification scheme.

Any help?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013

Natalie,

They are not receiving "Create Issue" event.

I tried admin-helper plugin, it shows they will notified.

Seems like Matt is right.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2013

JEMH has similar issues, it works around these by firing a custom event after all fields, including watchers and more, are all set, then issue listeners that are driven by Notification Schemes work as expected. This approach was legacy but still has merit, does solve the problem described, but requires JEMH Event Listener to be used to catch that event (and not ISSUE_CREATED) to stop duplicates.

Darryl Lee August 30, 2013

So I guess the feature request for this would be here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5493

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 27, 2013

I would recommend you to use this add-on to help you figure out why they dont get notified.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin

Matt Doar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2013

I doubt that will help since it is checking notification schemes and groups. I suspect the problem is that the watchers are not expected to be added during creation, so if they get added late when creating from email they are not seen by the issue listener? Not sure.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2013

Agree with Timothy, especially since you haven't specified *which* notification(s) they aren't receiving. :)

Matt Doar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2013

Installing the debug listener might also help narrow down which (if any) event is fired

0 votes
Darryl Lee August 30, 2013

Is there an open issue for this with Atlassian?

0 votes
Darryl Lee August 27, 2013

Huh, Notification Helper (which is awesome BTW), shows me this:

Status:Darryl Lee receives notifications for the 'Issue Created' event
Darryl Lee does not get notified of their own changes. Learn more.

So is the CC->Watcher setting actually happening as a post-create step, perhaps, and it's being initiated as Me, and that's why I didn't get the notification? Because I did *not* create the issue, so I'm thinking JIRA adds me as a Watcher as me after the creation and therefore I don't get a notice. :-{

I guess if I had my preference set to get notified of my own changes I would've seen this.

But still, it's weird, because I didn't make the change. And anyways, does adding somebody as a Watcher even qualify as a change?

Darryl Lee August 27, 2013

Meh. I changed my setting to Notify myself of my own changes, and had user try submitting another ticket via e-mail with me Cc'ed, and again, I got no notice of Issue Creation. This is on 5.0.7.

And yet Notification Handler says:

• <dl><dt>Event:</dt><dd title="Issue Created">Issue Created</dd></dl><dl><dt>User:</dt><dd title="Darryl Lee">Darryl Lee</dd></dl><dl><dt>Project:</dt><dd title="Edge Services">Edge Services</dd></dl><dl><dt>Scheme:</dt><dd title="blah">Default Notification Scheme</dd></dl><dl><dt>Issue:</dt><dd title="EDGE-593">EDGE-593</dd></dl><dl><dt>Status:</dt><dd>Darryl Lee receives notifications for the 'Issue Created' event</dd></dl>
<th width="10%">

Issue Watchers

Darryl Lee is watching the issue EDGE-593

Reporter

Darryl Lee is not the reporter

Current Assignee

Darryl Lee is not the current assignee

User Custom Field Value

Darryl Lee is not listed in the 'QA' field
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2013

Hey Darryl, can you confirm that the other people who should receive email notification when the issue is created (besides the watchers) are receiving their notification emails properly? Just wondering if the event is firing at all.

Also, this sounds kind of dumb but did you check the event off of the create step to ensure that it's using "Issue Created"? It should be by default, but it's possible someone edited the event to be a different one.

Suggest an answer