Issue Copying

Gomati Mahabal November 17, 2014

I am admin for both the JIRA instances i am working on and would trying to copy issue from one instance to another. When i am trying to do bulk copy it gives me error of 'not having permission'

Can you help me what are exact steps to do issue copying between JIRA instances and are there any specific permission and plugins required.

Thanks,

Gomati

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2014

JIRA does not have a "copy to other instance" option in it, so you'll need to start by telling us what plugin(s) you are using to try to do this, how you're getting to what you call "bulk copy".

However, the second half of your question implies that you haven't installed any plugins to do it, so I'm now completely confused as to where you're getting the "not having permission" message because you must have installed something already to get anything resembling a "bulk copy"

Ok. Not to confuse you with my tried option, can you share how should a user copy issues from one instance e.g. Dev to other instance e.g Prod. Are there any specific permission, plugins required.

Trying to keep question short and hope i clear this time smile

Thanks,

Gomati

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2014

Ah, ok, so the first half wasn't really happening and mislead me a bit. There is no native way to do it, so your suspicion that you'll need a plugin is correct. Various people have implemented it in different ways because there are several requirements in what they need to keep or replicate during a copy. But the only one I've had much luck with are 1. A manual export of the xml, followed by project import - for bulk copying of issues 2. The "Jira to Jira issue copy" plugin for single issue copy (note that the issue key changes when you do this)

0 votes

Thank you so much. Looks like i need to do a export of XML from source instance and import that in target instance.

Appreciate your inputs!

Suggest an answer