Issue Collector: Attributes Mapping

Regis January 2, 2013

Hi There

We are considering trying & using the Issue Collector to enforce a policy, so as to compell users to enter a few set of information in some tickets for a project, without having to modify anyhow the attributes in the JIRA project, so as to keep it very simple. It means, in the issue collector, people would be possibly asked to enter a few fields, some of them being defined in lists of values, some being text fields, and in the end, when submitted, the jira ticket created would gather these pieces of information in the description.

Have some of you tried this? Any particular opinion about this? Again, of course, I know we could add attributes to this project, but we want to avoid that, as we try & keep all our JIRA projects standard, to make maintenance/upgrades easier :)

Thanks for your help

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Regis January 10, 2013

I guess there is no real possible answer to my question

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2013

Frankly I consider this as an overhead to customize Issue Collector to collect data using fields and them join them all to the description. Rather have the fields in JIRA itself (as mandatory) and in turn in Issue Collector. It is the easiest and also easy for maintenance and upgrade.

Regis January 6, 2013

Thanks a lot Renjith. I can understand your answer, however, I have to take into account my company policy, which is 'keep JIRA standard and simple', as all teams are supposed to use the same worflows/attributes, so as to make administration costs as low as possible. Any exception is to be justified. Thus, I was thinking using the Issue Collector would be a way to proceed (another would consist of adding some Velocity code to have a template for the description, but well, I'm not really fond of that).

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2013
Regis January 9, 2013

Thanks, Renjith. It has been our first step, of course :)

Suggest an answer