Issue Assigne

Dylan June 19, 2012

Hello,

I would like to know is there a possibility in JIRA to restrict the assigning of issues per user.

What I mean by that is to make for certain users to be able to pick from the assignee dropdown list only the certain names and to assign the task only to certain people.

How this can be achieved?

Regards,

Dylan

2 answers

0 votes
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2012

Hi Dylan,

You can create a user property, for example "assignables", containing the list of user names of those users who can be assigned an issue by the user with the property:

You can read this user property "assignables" in the issue creation transition and assign its value to a customfield "Assignable user" of type "Free Text Field (unlimited text)". You can do it using "Read user property" post-function of JIRA Workflow Toolbox plugin:

Then you can test custom field "Assignable users" for matching with a regular expression dependent on a User Picker custom field containing the selected user to assign the issue to. You can do it with validator "A field matches a regular expression" of JIRA Workflow Toolbox:

%{10100} is the field ID for field "Selected user" which if a User Picker. Here is the validator configured:

You can insert the validator in the transition where you show the screen for selecting the user with custom field "Selected user".

Regards,

Fidel Castro Armario

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2012

Not really. The assignee list is determined by "people who can be assigned issues" permission. You can do a little bit with that, using "dynamic" assignees as well as simple rules like "person is developer role" or "person is in group X". By "dynamic", I mean the options like reporter, assignee, custom field value, etc. Problem is that all the options are based on the issue data, and have nothing to do with users.

A simple example here - we list "developers role" and "reporter" as assignable in the project, so the developers work on stuff and then throw it back to the reporter for testing/sign off.

But that isn't going to help you with your list because although you can get clever with groups and user pickers, there's no link between "person" and "person's arbitrary list of people they might be able to assign to".

So, I'm afraid you're going to need some code in order to implement anything like that.

Suggest an answer