Is your JIRA Agile board freezing in Google Chrome?

Brenden Prazner October 10, 2013

Is anyone elese having their JIRA Agile board freezing in Chrome? Only started happening recently but seems to work fine in FireFox.

Chrome version: 30.0.1599.69 m

Cheers!
Brenden

7 answers

1 vote
George Reynolds May 22, 2018

Hiya,

I know that this is a pretty old post but I had a very similar issues. I was able to use the Service Desk addon fine for ages. Until I installed a chrome extension. The extension was called Loom, it allowed for screen capture, voice and video recording. I was using it to create a walk through. It was initially preventing me from commenting on requests both internally and externally. It happened as soon as I clicked the comments box and would freeze the whole system. As soon as I tried disabling/removing extensions the first one I tried 'Loom' had now solved my problem.

Would love to be able to keep that extension so if someone can work out I would massively appreciate it.

Thanks,

George

Nikhil Kundra October 4, 2019

@George Reynolds Thank you so much! This has been driving me nuts! Believe you helped me resolve an issue. Thank you 🙏🏽

1 vote
Billy November 1, 2013

I have the same issue, but only on one of the two boards we have. The problem board is no longer needed. Can I delete it with it impacting something else?

-Billy

Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2013

Hi Billy,

Deleting a board only removes the board for your Agile available boards. The issues themselves will be unaffected. But as always, best to check no-one else is using the board before you perform the delete :)

I've still not encountered a reproducable example of the above issue and would like to get to the bottom of it. If you are using OnDemand could you raise a ticket at support.atlassian.com advising the affected board so I can dig deeper.

Cheers,

Paul

1 vote
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2013

It happens to me too, but only on our production instance which might be running an older version of JIRA Agile. It works fine if I run a local server of JIRA (any version) with a JIRA Agile version of 6.3.0.x+ (heven't tried older versions).

I think it's js-related because the browser console shows these errors:

GET http://mydomain.com/s/en_US-sx1507-418945332/843/22/cb035812f0a511252785bcc327eda7c6/_/download/contextbatch/js/gh-rapid/batch.js  RapidBoard.jspa:90
An exception has occurred in http://mydomain.com/secure/RapidBoard.jspa at 126 : Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'init' of undefined batch.js:1

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'init' of undefined RapidBoard.jspa:126

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'appendChild' of null batch.js:1

P.S.: I'm talking about JIRA standalone, not OnDemand.

mamayer February 3, 2014

I'm facing the same issue with standalone JIRA v6.1#6144-sha1:2e50328 in Chrome 32.0.1700.102 m.

An exception has occurred in https://jira/s/d41d…427e/de_DEay9dn8-1988…/js/greenhopper-rapid-non-gadget,atl.general,jira.global,gh-rapid/batch.js at 2432 : Uncaught ReferenceError: JPT is not defined @ batch.js:2
Uncaught ReferenceError: JPT is not defined @ batch.js:2432
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'appendChild' of null @ batch.js:2
An exception has occurred in https://jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa at 115 : Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'init' of undefined @ batch.js:2
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'init' of undefined @ RapidBoard.jspa:115
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'appendChild' of null @ batch.js:2

0 votes
Michael Knopf October 23, 2014

We had a similiar issue with JIRA Agile (Greenhoper) throwing an error simiiar to the following whenever we attempted to access any Agile board, look at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/68993, we were able to resolve the issue by restarting the JIRA service (RDP'ed into the machine and ran the stop/start service files).

ERROR:

Exception: TypeError: GH.Rapid Board.Board Header is undefined Resource: /_/download/context batch/js/greenhopper-rapid-non-gadget,atl.general,jira.global,gh-rapid/batch.js

0 votes
Hung Dinh November 2, 2013

We do experience the same issues. At first I thought that there are too many issues (about 150). However, I keep having the same problem with a small board. If you guys can figure out a solution, please share here

PS: we are on a standalone version

0 votes
Brenden Prazner October 10, 2013

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the reply. No, no addon on Chrome at the moment except I installed the Tweet Deck app from the Chrome store.

The rest of JIRA is fine. Steps to reproduce are:

1. Log into JIRA on-demand.

2. Agile > Select board

3. PROBLEM: Freezes for around 15 seconds with the large loading wheel not spinning.

After a while the "Plan" list appears and then the whole page grinds to a deathly pace. It seems that links can't be clicked, search box can't be selected but after a while the actions you pressed 10 seconds or so ago take affect byt again deathly slow. There are 108 issues listed on the Plan list.

I'm just up on George street if you want to come for a walk up and take a look :)

Any more info I can provide to assist debugging it? Video, etc?

Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2013

Hi Brenden,

One other suggestion I could make is to use the Developer Tools in Chrome (ctrl+shift+I or cmd+option+I) depending on OS, select the 'Network' tab when accessing the affected page. You are looking for a timeline entry which takes approximately the time you are experiencing from the delay.

If you are continuing to see this issue, I'd really like to pop onto your instance so I can try and reproduce the behaviour & run through the logs. Just raise a ticket at support.atlassian.com

Cheers,

Paul

0 votes
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
October 10, 2013

Hi Brandon,

I've been using the same version of Chrome and viewing multiple JIRA Agile boards without experiencing the behaviour you have mentioned. Have you recently added any add-ons or extenstions to your Chrome browser? If yes, could you retry accessing the boards with all extenstions disabled.

Otherwise, let us know if you see the behaviour on a certain action?

Cheers,

Paul

Suggest an answer