Is there really no way to have a "real" burndown chart in Jira? Meaning hours on Tasks and Points on Stories.

Fred Mastropasqua June 21, 2016

Why is this the default and it seem that the only way to have a burndown chart based on story points? I've seen posts on this but I can't believe it's still not implemented yet. This is like 101 stuff.

Story Points are for estimating and predicting what work a team will get done in the long term. During Sprint Planning, you break down the work into tasks with hours and check against capacity for the team and let your burndown be guided by that.  How is this not possible still yet? Or am I missing something in Jira?

Burndown by stories doesn't give you an accurate view. You're flat lined for days until the line drops suddenly. Granted, you want small stories that only last a day or two but teams that aren't that mature haven't mastered that yet.

I don't want to put time on the stories and have story points. That's just more work to maintain and update. There needs to be another level between Epics and Stories. With the middle layer being the Stories and the lower layer being the Tasks.

Is there a feature request somewhere that I can vote on if this functionality doesn't exist?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2016

If I have understood the main part of the question, then it sounds like there's a broken assumption somewhere.  JIRA Software lets you choose between burning down on time and story points (or in fact, any numeric field you want).  But not both, because that's not possible (unless you run with "1SP = fixed length of time", which is wrong, of course)

That setting is in the board configuration, in the estimation tab.

On the follow-up question - have a look through https://jira.atlassian.com - that's where new features are raised, voted, etc.

Suggest an answer