Is there no file export format that can be directly imported to Google Drive?

BRENT RORABACK August 13, 2013

I'm trying to export a list of issues and then import it to Google Drive (for reformatting, sharing, etc.). But when I export as either Excel or Word, Google fails on importing it with the following error:

"This file could not be imported because the contents of the file do not match the file extension."

Looks like this issue has been around for a while (http://goo.gl/T8CKUB). Users noted that they could open the file in another program (Excel, OpenOffice), save it, then re-import it successfully. Seems like a lot to ask (i.e., seems like a bug).

Is there any support for exporting search results in a format that can be directly imported and then edited in Google Drive?

System: OS X 10.8.4, Chrome 28.0.1500.95

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
BRENT RORABACK August 13, 2013

Thx Gaurav. Like I said, seems like the same issue that was logged a long time ago: the exported file is treated as invalid by Google Drive; users have to re-save a local copy using another program for the file to be valid.

If that's the case I guess the answer is, no, Jira exports cannot be directly imported and edited in Google Drive. It'd be great to hear the status of this bug. Seems like it would be pretty trivial to fix, either through exporting a fully-valid .xls or .doc file or - even better - by supporting a standard format like .csv (another outstanding request).

0 votes
Gaurav Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2013

If you upload the file exported in XLS, it may not work, but if you open and save it as a different file, it generally works for me. I guess atlassian misses some encoding when exporting the results which if you open in excel, it ignores and opens your document but google docs does not understand it.

But when you save it as other file from excel, it writes in correct format and google understands it. Thats how it works for me.

Other workaround can be is to open in excel and copy all the content and paste it in XLS.

If you don't have excel, then probably you can download Openoffice / Libreoffice etc and use them to open exported files.

Suggest an answer