Is there is any way to know about jira indexing in advance.

Varun Rawat March 20, 2013

Hi All,

I have been using jira since last two years, and it is a good tool for bug reporting and project management. But sometimes i noticed that jira goes for reindexing unexpectedly without any prior notice. Is there is any way or workaround, so that we can know when will jira go for reindexing.It would be very helpful for us since our daily project deliverables and status is affected by Jira Re-indexing.

Any suggestions or thought would always welcomed............:)

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2013

I don't think that JIRA will re-index it self without someone triggering that. Now, about the difference between Download and OnDemand; if JIRA is hosted by your self (or company) it's a Downloaded version. But if it's on Atlassian host, it's OnDemand, and typically ends with atlassian.net or jira.com.

Thanks Razzaq , You means if URL ends with Jira.Company name.com that means Its ON Demand.in that case indexing would triggered by company administrators. all right

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2013

Nop :). It would look like <companyname.atlassian.net>. Then it's ONDemand.

Hi Razzaq, that means we are using Download, so in that case what is the solution. Should we talk to our administrators in that case.

Regards,

Varun

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

Yes indeed. We do not trigger a re-index, and JIRA doesn't do that unless it's manually done by an admin.

Thanks Razzaq...:)

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

In either your download or OnDemand version of JIRA, it will not perform a full-reindex unless it is manually triggered. You will need to work with your administrators to have them notify you prior to performing full re-indexes.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

I don't know which version of JIRA you're using, but newer versions (at least 5.2.6 which is what I have) allow you to re-index in the background, so JIRA is still usable while the (slower) re-index occurs. It might be worthwhile investigating that option as well.

Hi Justin, I am using Jira 5.2 but sometimes reindexing happens , i don't why.I know in Jira 5.2 or above it happens in background but still jira goes for reindexing sometimes.

Regards,

Varun

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

Well, as was mentioned above, JIRA doesn't re-index on its own. Someone is kicking that off. If they're doing the background re-index however, it shouldn't impact any of your users.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

For OnDemand, you can reindex yourself right? Your administrators should tell you when the index will take place.

Thanks Timothy, But i don't know about OnDemand And Downloads. Could you please tell me the difference.

Thanks

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2013

Here you go : http://bit.ly/YraOaj

Hehehehe........:)....I don't know which version we are using..:). But if we are using Download version, is there any way to know about Jira indexing in advance. Please help me out.

Thanks

Suggest an answer