Is there easy way to find "Anyone" permission set in one of permissions scheme?

m93 July 3, 2017

I'm following JIRA applications performance tuning. There is a point "Replace jira-users with the 'Anyone' permission". Is there easy way to verify that my legacy jira instance doesn't have 'Anyone' set in one of permission scheme?

Global permissions doesn't contain that group but I would like to get deeper understading.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2017

Hi Marcin,

You'll want to check your permissions schemes for the use of the "Anyone" or "Any logged in user" values too.

In JIRA Server, you can query to the database to check for this.  The table is called "schemepermissions."  The permission schemes themselves are in the "permissionscheme" table.

This isn't what I expected, but it looks like "Anyone" or "Any logged in user" may be treated as a record with a null value in the "perm_parameter" column.  (I did a search for the string "any" and found no results.)

Try a MYSQL query like this one:

select * from schemepermissions where (perm_type = "applicationrole" or perm_type = "group") and perm_parameter is null

Then, you can use the "scheme" column to further investigate the scheme by ID.

In the browser, append it to the URL or simply query the db.

In JIRA Cloud, I think you'll have to open each scheme and do a CTRL-F (browser find) for the string: any.

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright

m93 July 11, 2017

Hi Rachel,

In my company we've got EOL JIRA 6.3.12 in which this findings is appliable in different way. In my case all "Anyone" are stored in DB as perm_type = "group" and perm_parameter is null.

select * from schemepermissions where perm_type = 'group' and perm_parameter is null;

Thank you for your input.

Marcin

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

Thanks Marcin, I had a bug in my query.  I updated it.  

• perm_type = "group" will find instances of "Anyone"
  • perm_type = "applicationrole" will find instances of "Any logged in user"

Have a lovely day!

Joe Jadamec March 3, 2022

I had to use "applicationRole" in Jira 8.20.2 for the query to work.  R is capital letter.

Suggest an answer