Is there away to set due dates on a Kanban boards

Kristi Grassi October 6, 2017

I'm currently in the process of setting up our team on a Kanban board and I don't see anyway to set due dates?

I can see there are "releases" but it's unclear how to add issues to the releases.

I'm coming from Pivotal Tracker, so maybe I'm missing something about the philosophy of Kanban style management

4 answers

7 votes
Jessica Coupez November 5, 2018

Hello guys,

I found how to do it:

You go on : Projects settings, on the bottom left-hand corner, 

You select Screens

Then, you select the type of Issue you want to add a Due Date,

I had 4 issues using a "Scrum Default issue screen", I clicked on the link "Scrum default issue screen"

and then I could add the field "Due date"

Dhaval Jardosh January 24, 2020

Worked for me, thank you.

Fuad Yatim January 27, 2020

Worked for me too .. Thank you!

3 votes
Scott Glajch February 12, 2018

I had this problem too and it took forever to find the answer.

You have to add the Due Date field to the issue detail view for the board.

On your board, go to the Board dropdown in the top right and click configure Board -> Configure

On the resulting page, on the left (Configuration) section, click the Issue Detail View link.

On the resulting page, in the second section (Date Fields), add Due Date to the list.

When you go back to the board and select and issue, due date should show up on the right!

Remember that the Due Date permissions needs to be editable by your users (there are global permissions for this as well).

Conar Dunne June 22, 2018

Thanks for reply, i can see the Due Date in the board permission but it still doesn't appear in the individual TASKS. Any tips ?

Like Costin Genoiu likes this
Younes El Hachemy July 31, 2018

You can add Due Date in the Card layout of the Board. 
Board -> Configure -> Card layout 
Then use the drop-down menu to select Due Date and click on add.

Like # people like this
제이슨 August 17, 2018

@Younes El Hachemy Thanks for your answer. I tried that way but couldn't see it in the right summary column... Is there any way I can set Due Date in the right column in stead of clicking on Edit? 

Younes El Hachemy August 20, 2018

@Conar Dunne 
I do not think it is possible. You should be able to see the due date on the issue cards in your board and you can see it in the issue itself when you click on view this issue. 

If the due date is still not visible, then see the link below to check if your settings are set correctly.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/due-date-field-is-missing-189431917.html

Allison Vess October 9, 2020

I know this is almost 3 years later but thank you!

0 votes
Kjetil Svarstad December 4, 2018

Can issues automatically go to the kanban board when it is for example 7 days until due date? 

Marcel Kleinlütke January 31, 2019

project = KEY AND due <= 7d

this jql needs to be set up in the boards settings. general. the third option from the buttom... I only have german options there - I guess they wont help u :D

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2017

Fields like due date go on to issues, not the board.  The board is a view of the issues, and the due date can hence be shown on the cards that represent the issues on boards.

Releases use the "fix version" field.  With Kanban, issues are supposed to move from left to right, gradually filling up the far right hand column as "done".  When you are ready to "release"  (usually imagined as a software delivery), you click the release button at the top right, give the release a name, and Jira  stamps the issues with  the name (in the version field) and they vanish from the board because they've been delivered.

Suggest an answer