Is there anything in Jira that can be accomplished without adding a monthly fee?

Robert Finkbeiner April 21, 2021

I would like to restrict the creation of issues with type: Story to just admins.  To accomplish this I need to make a new Workflow and add a Condition to it.  Oh, Conditions don't exist. For an additional $10 a month I can add ScriptRunner, which will let me... run scripts - although no indication any script I could run would do what I need - since Conditions only exist in the documentation, not in the actual software.  Or I could buy a number of Workflow plugins from the Marketplace that may or may not do what I need.  I suspect "Jira" is a New Zealand word meaning pyramid scheme.  Why is it that EVERYTHING I ever want to do takes reading through dozens of outdated or irrelevant documents only to end with, "pay more money per month" - which is really only a transition to more frustration on the way to giving up on the thing I tried to do in the first place - after having bloated my instance with all my failed attempts and the stinking carcasses of all the plugins I've talked my leadership into paying for despite never getting it to actually work.  Yes, I'm pissed.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

Hi @Robert Finkbeiner  I think the solution could be to use Validator (Permission Validator). What do you think?

Conditions don't seem to exist for the Create transition, so I would have to apply the validation to all issue types, rather than just Story.

Is it possible to have a separate workflow scheme for Story using this validation, and another for all other issues types with no validation?  

Like # people like this

Yes!  that worked.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

That does work, but I recall people creating issues and entering the data, then when they finish and click Create, the validator kicks in and they lose that data. May not be the case any longer though?

In case you wonder, we do use ScriptRunner, JSU and JMWE and about 12 other plugins. We just have our expectations set that using Jira and Confluence implies paying for some plugins.

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 21, 2021

@Robert Finkbeiner,

Glad too see the validator worked for your create transition. To add to your question about different workflows per issue type: that is exactly what workflow schemes are designed for.

You can create a separate workflow per issue type first (that allows you to apply the validator only in your story workflow, not for other issue types). Next, you create a workflow scheme with the workflows you need in a project. In the scheme you specify which workflow should be used for each issue type.

As a last step, you associate that workflow scheme with a project. The scheme then applies the correct workflow to the issue types in your project.

A single workflow scheme can be applied to multiple projects too. If you set up your configuration like that, you unlock the power to standardise your Jira configuration across projects.

The same principles also apply to issue types, screens, notifications and permissions, by the way.

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

@Matt Doar I don't think you lose your data anymore (thank god), but I still think it's bad UX, as far as the principle of least surprise goes. 

It would suck to enter a detailed description for a Story, fill out a bunch of fields, and then click Submit, only to have the validator kick it back with an error message, and then the user would have to... I guess email all of that info to an Admin to file the Story on your behalf?

That being said... yeah, I can't think of a solution even using add-ons.

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

Ah, so this is an oldie:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-5865

FYI the Scriptrunner Behaviours solution mentioned here most definitely only works on Server/Data Center:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Restricting-issue-creation-of-certain-types-based-on-user/qaq-p/32785

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events