Is there any way to search for a certain email address domain?

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013

Hi,

Is there any way to search for a certain email address domain?

E.g. assignee ~ "@domain.com" or reporter ~ "@domain.com"

Can anyone advise?

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2013

No this is not possible. Since the email address is not a value within the issues them selfs, or a field, but rather related to a user, you can not use it for issues queries, unless the username and email address are the same.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013

Alright thanks. Would have been nice to be able to do this?

Like Yatish Madhav likes this
Mohamed Cherif August 4, 2016

Absolutely. This question was asked back in 2013, do we have any update for it today? (I need to search for issues assigned to people with email addresses containing "@domain."

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2020

7 years later and I would also love to do this. Not only by domain - but also by email. Eg JQL suggests assignee or reporter name and email but populates the user account id.

Any update or workaround on this from Atlassian?

Like # people like this

Any update or workaround on this from Atlassian?

Like # people like this
Will_y_ De Vos December 24, 2020

Need also this functionality.

Starting to use the 'organizations' field, so I want to add all 'existing' customers that mention (field = reporter) the domain 'organization.com' & 'eu.organization.be' to organization 'organization'. 

Therefore I need a query that can filter on all these tickets containing that 'part of the reporters field' and then bulk change them to a certain organization.

Or is there a better way of accomplishing this?

Thanks, Will

Fianna O'Brien November 1, 2021

+1 to providing a basic functionality for filtering by reporter email domain. Using the reporter ID for filtering is painful, cumbersome, and prone to failure. I just have to slowly add reporter IDs for every address associated with an organization to filter? That's incredibly painful.

3 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2013

Add a scripted field (and call it any name) (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner) and add this code:

return issue.reporter.emailAddress.split("@")[1];

Then search using this new field.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2013

Hi Renjith,

Once I add this field, in the search do I search for the domain after @, so excluding the "@"?

Thanks, Will give this a try.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2013

Where and how do I search once i've created this scripted field?

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2013

Can you comment @Renjith?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2013

Normal issue navigator search.

I am guessing you have selected text searcher while configuring the scripted field.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2013

I selected text searcher yes, But when i make an issue navigator search:

"Email Domain searcher" ~ "@domain.com"

I get no results back?

Bogdan M August 11, 2016

"Email Domain searcher" ~ "domain.com" is the correct way to search

Guillermo Robaudo January 21, 2022

Thanks Renjith

Milos Pejkovic March 2, 2023

It works!

Thank you Renjit

1 vote
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2013

Warren, in addition Mick's answer, the assignee and reporter fields do not support the 'contains:~' operator, as they're not free text fields.

You might want to try creating a custom free text field to be filled with the email addresses of the issue participants, and that would be searchable.

Hope it helps.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2013

Thanks Jeison, I knew the assignee and reporter fields do not support the 'contains:~' operator, I was just using it as and example, hence the "E.g". None the less, thank you for your help.

0 votes
Joost Boek February 22, 2024

Hello, 

We are now in 2024. Is there a answer on this question today? Would like to have the possibilty.

Suggest an answer