Is there any way to keep trac of users and systems they use?

Teresia Willstedt January 13, 2017

Hi,

When we add user accounts to different systems, we always log a case in Jira, even before adding the user to AD.

The problem is when the user leaves. Then we do not easily get information what system the user have access to. Is there any way to keep trac of this?
If there was a database of all users in JIRA and all systems in use are registered in Asset Manager, could it be possible to connect that user to the systems in use?  Is there any add-on doing this?

Regards

Teresia

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2017

JIRA won't do that off-the-shelf, as it's an issue tracker, not an asset management system.

That said, a lot of people do use it for asset management, including "joiner / mover / leaver" type stuff.  The usual approach to that is to set up an issue that represents each user.

In this case, you'd need to be doing all your user-asset management in JIRA.

A second option is to add dedicated code for asset management to JIRA, there's some add-ons which can help, but Riada's Insight add-on is the one I reach for.  It does users as a specific asset type quite nicely.

Finally, you mention "Asset Manager".  I'm not aware of that system, but if it supports remote access, then yes, you should be able to set up some connections between it and JIRA.

Teresia Willstedt January 13, 2017

Hi again, thanks for a quick answer.

Is there any documentation you can link to that shows me how Insight works?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2017

There's a good introduction in the form of a tutorial on https://documentation.riada.se/display/IN/Insight+-+Overview - do not skim the "concepts" section lightly though - I did, and I ended up going back to it.  (Ok, kept it open in a new tab and jumped back and forth)

Suggest an answer