Is there any way to create more than a global transition for one status?

Begoña Bonet August 11, 2014

I need to create more than one Global Transition related with the same final status. Is there any way to do that?

I work with Jira 6.1.7 and I don't know how to do that.

Thanks

Begoña

10 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2014

As per default, but you edit it afterwards, if you prefer:
To TEST >> TEST 2 To TEST 2 >> TEST 2 To TEST 3 >> TEST 4 To TEST 4 >> TEST 4

Here the targets >> are only TEST 2 and 4

0 votes
Begoña Bonet August 31, 2014

Ohhh thanks!!!

I've created 2 transitions, each one with a different target status. After thay I've edit one of them and I've changed the target status.

Now I've 2 different Global Transicions with the same target status.

Many, many thanks!!!

0 votes

Yes but not all transicions have the same target status. Every transition have only one target status. Is like that?

0 votes
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2014

I've just played a bit with it and created TEST to TEST 4 statuses with Global transitions. In the end I have 4 statuses with 4 available transitions and I can move from TEST to TEST 4, all in all directions.

It is not possible to remove a Global transition from a status created with Global transition. Global is Global.

The Global transition by default do not have conditions defined, but this can be done and in this context it can be defined, how the transitions can be used and who is allowed to.

It looks like Global means: Statuses and Transitions are used globally and n to n.

0 votes

How many Global Transitions do you have in every status?

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2014

All, since all created statuses with Global transition are automatically sharing the other global transitions. Also all other statuses, already existing, are sharing the Global transitions.

0 votes

I know this option, but the problem is that when you use it to create the first Global Transition for a status (i.e. Closed), the "Add a global transition" button disapears.

My question is: Is it possible to add more Global transitions using other option, editing the xml directly.....?

0 votes

Sorry, I think I haven't explained my problem correctly. I'll try again:

Context

You can create a Global Transition (i.e. named "GT") when you are located over an status in the workflow. When you create a transicion in this way, you inform which is the target status (i.e. "Open") of the "TG" transicion. Then, you can reach the target status ("Open") from every status in the workflow using the transition "TG".

Using Global Transitions you can define only 1 transition but users can see the same transicion in every status in the workflow and this transition allways change issue to the target status.

Scenario

I need to define more than one Global Transition for the same statusn (but this is not related with the Close status and the resolution of an issue).

The two Global Transitions I need will change the issue to "Open" status but every transition change specific customfields.

Problem

Once I have defined the first global transition "GT" from the target status "Open", when I go to the "Open" status in the graphical workflow editor, I can't see the way to define another global transition because the option "Create a global transition" is disapeared.

Question

Only one Global Transition can be created to reach one status in the workflow?

Is there any way to make that?

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2014

We are yet not using the Advanced Workflow Configuration, but it looks interesting, also the description:

You can also add a global transition this way:

1. Select a status, for example, Closed.
  2. Select the Add a global transition option from the Properties panel, as shown here:

3. The Add Global Transition dialog is displayed. Enter a name and description, select a transition screen, and click Create.

0 votes

If I have understood your answer, I can't define 2 global transitions with the same target status.

To implement that, you propose to me to use only 1 transition to represent T1&T2 + 1 new field to indicate if I have launched T1&T2 to make T1 functionality or T2 functionality.... Is this true?

The problem is that T1 and T2 don't have the same functionality and perhaps it would be better for me to define T1 as global and to replicate T2 in all the status in the workflow.... what about that?

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2014

No, not a a new field, because the field "Resolution" belongs to the Jira Worfklow.

Not sure, if I have understood correctly the second point. Starting with "Open", when would you like to reach T1 and when T2? What are the conditions?

0 votes

For example, a flow with 4 status: A, B, C and D.

I need to define 2 global transitions with target status A. In this way, the users will see:

B -> A (transition1)

B -> A (transition2)

C-> A (transition1)

C-> A (transition2)

D-> A (transition1)

D-> A (transition2)

I'll like to define 2 global transition instead of 6 transitions

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2014

Sure, you can do it, if it suits to your processes. Often we have another situation:

Open -> Resolved OR Open -> Verified OR Open -> Rejected OR Open -> Closed

Depending on the permissions and conditions, one user will only be able to see

Open -> Resolved
another user, in another Group/Role,
might see
Open -> Verified

But often users can see different transitions, in order to be more flexible. But you can define it, using fine grained conditions. Sounds a little difficult, until the basics are understood.

But in your case you might want to move an issue to 4 stages and from there to 2 kind of results. It is up to you to define your work process.

In the end anyway you can move from all stages to status Closed, so - in my opinion -, it is important to have an expressive resolution:

Closed as Fixed
Closed as Tested
Closed as Won't Fix

Especially for the status Rejected we use a combination with several resolutions:

Rejected as Won't Fix
Rejected as Cannot Reproduce
Rejected as Hold On

You might need to defined the pairs "Status and Resolution" for your planned 2 transitions.

0 votes
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2014

Do you mean, for instance, to have more than one status between Resolved and Closed? Or do you need to go from Closed to Closed just to change the Resolution? Basically you can adapt the workflow to different needs, but I am not sure what you are exactly looking for. Could you explain a bit more?

I've found the guide from Atlassian very helpful: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA061/Configuring+Workflow

Suggest an answer