• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is there any performance benefit to be gained in how we model projects?

We currently have over 200 projects in our system and 400,000 issues.  I am looking to clean up the configuration we use to a single standard configuration that all teams will use.

Would it be more sensible to have a single project that holds all issues or multiple projects with the issues shared between them?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Liz Porritt 

I don't think putting everything in one project is going to give you performance improvement, I think it may even cause the opposite.

Things to think about is shared scheme configuration, trying to use simple workflows (the more steps a workflow has, the complexer it gets, which over time may impact performance), but one that we found especially useful is setting custom fields contexts.

Find out which projects and issue types use which custom fields and restrict the custom field context to those specifics. If the context is set to 'global', the field will be available on every issue, even though it's not on the screen. This causes a bigger index, which impacts searching and indexing performance.

What can also help is deleting older projects (or keeping an offline backup of them somewhere), but only do this when you don't expect to ever need the data again. Also delete projects that may have been setup simply as a test or projects that remain empty.

These are all small things that may help :)

Hope it's useful.

Kind regards
Jorden

1 vote
DPK J Community Leader Jan 10, 2020

@Liz PorrittYou are both wrong and right.

• Eliminating lots of configuration schemes and merging all of them into one simpler organization wide configuration scheme will surely have performance benefits.
  • On contrary, merging all issues in one project will cause performance plenty.

You can always learn more about performance tuning your Jira from this documentation by Atlassian - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/server-optimization-938847889.html

I suggest you go through this.

Hi @DPK J 

Could you maybe point out what's wrong in my answer? I can only learn from that.

As far as I can see now is that our answers are the exact same ^^

Thanks in advance!

@Jorden Van Bogaert  Your answer is perfectly correct, and I will mark that as 'accepted' once user is satisfied.

One quick suggestion is, please add links to documentations pages by Atlassian, so users can learn more and help others.

@DPK J Ah thanks for the confirmation! I read your sentence wrong 'you are both wrong and right', thought you also referred to me being wrong and right. My bad!

Thanks again for confirming and for the tip :D 

I've also saved the article since I didn't have that ;)

@Jorden Van BogaertNever an issue, we are happy place called 'Community'.

Like Jorden Van Bogaert likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you