Is there any compatibility matrix for Jira and Confluence versions?

katasonov November 17, 2013

We have currently Jira 3.10 and Confluence 2.6. and we have licence for Confluence 3.4. We want to update our Jira to the latest version 6. Are there any compatibility problems with Jira 6 and Confluence 2.6/3.4?

It would be great to see something like Compatibility Matrix for Confluence and Jira to make right decisions for updating.

3 answers

1 vote
Erik Saline [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2013

Check out the Atlassian SDK, you can quickly run older versions of JIRA and Confluence, https://developer.atlassian.com/display/DOCS/Set+up+the+Atlassian+Plugin+SDK+and+Build+a+Project.

You can also download older versions of either and setup test enviroments, https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download-archives

Try either of these methods to setup a test bed and take it for a spin!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2013

Depends on how you have them communicating.

The Jira portlet macro will stop working once you upgrade past version 4.0 of Jira. There are fixes and workarounds, but they're not nice, and it's easier to just go with "incompatible" when explaining it.

If you are using the same user-base (i.e. Confluence is reading Jira's database for its users) then your upgrade is going to break. You can't go past Jira 4.2 because of the changes to the data structure (there's actually a code change and hack I made to do this for one customer, but seriously unsupported and really should NOT be done)

0 votes
katasonov November 17, 2013

We use the same user-base in Jira.

The problem is that we have Jira 3.10 for now and we have license for Confluence 3.4.6 but we could not update our Confluence from 2.6 because of current Jira won't work with new Confluence.

For now we have money to update our Jira and we should decide wether buy latest Confluence version or we could use 3.4.6 with Jira 6.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2013

That's simply not going to work. If you want to update Jira with Confluence 3.4, you can't go past Jira 4.1 (without risky hacking, and it might be Jira 4.2 is the highest, I'm not 100% sure).

I'd suggest you do that jump to the highest Jira first, then take Confluence to 3.5, then you'll be able to move Jira on further.

Suggest an answer