Is there any alternative DNS other than s1 s2 that can be used to configure service desk emails?

Mark Albis June 9, 2017

Hi,

We are trying to follow the steps outlined in the Atlassian instructions to prepare for the upcoming configuration changes to JIRA application emails for our Service Desk:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-jira-cloud-to-send-emails-on-behalf-of-your-domain-900996548.html

However, we are running into a problem with the limited options available to configure our DNS to send emails. The only feasible way for our organization to do this would be to alter our DKIM records. The problem is that the only records that we're allowed to use are s1 and s2. These records are already in use for another, unrelated application, and having to disrupt that application to continue using our service desk email address is really unacceptable.

There must be a way we can configure different DNS record name(s) for the emails so we can set this up, can you assist?

Mark 

5 answers

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2017

Hi Mark,

In the Configuring JIRA Cloud to send emails on behalf of your domain knowledge base article it provides the following guidance for customers that are already using SendGrid to send emails:

"If you're already using SendGrid to send emails from your domain for another service, you will not be able to add that domain a second time. In this case, it is recommended that you use a subdomain for your 'Project Email Address' setting. For example, use jira@notifications.company.com instead of jira@company.com"

Once you make the changes wait 10 - 15 minutes and then use https://domain-check.atlassian.io tool to verify that everything has been configured correctly.

Hopefully that helps you move forward!

Cheers,

Branden

Mark Albis June 15, 2017

Hi Branden,

I appreciate the response, thank you. We are aware we could add a subdomain, but this isn't a very good solution for us. At this point we have been using the same address for years gotten our entire organization used to sending and receiving email to and from that address to get help or access the services we provide.

However, we've been in contact with Atlassian support and it seems that the instructions for configuring email are a little misleading. We haven't completed the setup yet, but it sounds like we should be able to use alternate domain records aside from those mentioned in the instructions (records which won't cause a conflict with other applications) and continue using the same email address to send service desk emails.

Thanks,
Mark

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2017

Awesome.  Once you test if you can update this with your results?  From my understanding of how this works there shouldn't be an issue with using alternate domain records, however, I did not want to say go ahead and try it since the docs aren't clear regarding using alternate domains and I'm still waiting on proper guidance from the devs.  Let me know your results.

Cheers,

Branden

Robert Lutinski June 22, 2017

Hi Branden.

Unfortunately, the directions we were given did not work insofar as the alternate delineator  cnamed to the s1/s2.atlassian.net and while we were informed that the senior engineering team will be updating us shortly... that was yesterday. If there is any way to get this escalated or some traction, it would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
June 23, 2017

Hi Robert,

Can you provide the ticket number you're working with the Support Engineers on and I will see what I can do on this end.

Branden

Like Jason Selby likes this
Robert Lutinski June 23, 2017

Thanks, Branden.

RE: [SUPPORT] Comment posted to request #JST-294526: Need alternative DNS other than s1 s2 to configure service desk emails

Appreciate it!

Reuben Fergusson July 7, 2018

Hi Guys,

Im having a similar issue. I cannot add anything with and underscore in the cname record. 
Is there a way to do it without an underscore? 

Im following this article https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-jira-cloud-to-send-emails-on-behalf-of-your-domain-900996548.html

Nicole Qu September 12, 2019

@somethingblue @Robert Lutiski were you able to get alternative DNS other than s1 s2 for your service desk emails? We are having similar issue that we already using sendgrid to send emails from our domain for other service. 

Jason Selby December 6, 2019

Did you ever get a response to this?

Jason Selby December 6, 2019

@Branden McElveen Is there any answer to this?  I am experiencing the same issue?

Nicole Qu December 6, 2019
0 votes
Leigh Owens July 27, 2021

Same issue here - Did anyone get around this? 

For people using SendGrid already could we potentially change DKIM selector? 

How to set up domain authentication - Twilio (sendgrid.com)

Arnaud Courtoisier August 26, 2021

For us, we have change the selector on sendgrid. Who can handle custom ones.

Hope you can do it too :)

Like Orion Herbert likes this
Ingo Dettmar September 2, 2021

Thanks for the tip!

0 votes
Arnaud Courtoisier February 18, 2021

@somethingblue @Mark Albis any chance you got an update on this ?

Regards

0 votes
Exploitation UBALDI February 18, 2021

2021 and still same issue 

why don't you use the same method StatusPage use ??

simple, and effective : spg1._domainkey & spg2_.domainkey

0 votes
akqa.licensing July 7, 2020

Hi, 

I am have the same issue.

You really need to have a method of configuring DKIM for domains that already use SENDGRID.

Suggest an answer