Is there any Jira API for excel export ?

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2014

Hi ,

I want to export a Jira view page to Excel file.

This page is basically a view page from project tab panel plugin i have made. And on clicking a button in the , the entire view page content will be export to a downloadable excel file.

4 answers

1 vote
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2015

Have a look at the Better Excel Plugin. It was built to provide customizable Excel exports for any sort of JIRA data.

Unless you have very specific needs, or you want to re-implement a similar feature in your plugin, the Better Excel Plugin can be a major time-saver.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2014

There's a basic "export to Word" already built into Jira, and the issue navigator has "export to Excel" in it too.

For a quick answer, with no coding, you could simply run a filter for "Key = ABC-123" which will give you a single line in the issue navigator. Click "export to excel", and you'll get a spreadsheet file out.

I suspect you could re-use some of Jira's API to do the formatting the built-in export is doing, or maybe some of the code.

But... I'd question the use for this - is it really worth having an Excel export of a single issue? What's the use case? The usual use for a spreadsheet is for lots of lines of data, not just one line, and the issue navigator already supports that.

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

@Nic: Please read my question again , i m not talking about any issue navigator

cant understand below statement with my context.

"But... I'd question the use for this - is it really worth having an Excel export of a single issue? What's the use case? The usual use for a spreadsheet is for lots of lines of data, not just one line, and the issue navigator already supports that."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2014

I have read the question. You appear to want to export a single issue to Excel.

I'm questioning the usefulness of this because I cannot imagine any use for it (I don't have a good imagination, so I'm curious to learn). I can see lots of use for a spreadsheet containing many lines of issues, which is what the issue navigator has already. I guess my question really is "why are you trying to export a single issue into a format that is explicitly designed to handle masses of data"

I've also pointed out that there is a way to export to excel without you needing to do any code, it's just not on the issue view. You could actually construct a url that would do it without any coding as well.

Also Jira already probably has a lot of the code in it you might be able to reuse, but we can't really point you at that unless we know roughly what the output you are aiming for is. (Which leads us back to "you really want to export one single line?")

DanielP
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

@dipti: Well, why don't you try to explain your "context" better then? It's not really clear from your question exactly what you want to export.

It's only natural that people will think that you want to export issues if you don't say otherwise...

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

@Nic, @Daniel: I havent mentioned that i want to export issues into excel and sorry if I m not clear with my context earlier.

Now in detail :

I have created a project tab panel plugin 'estimation' which is visible inside the browse project section .

Here , the tab panel have a tabular view of story points totals.

I just simply want to export this data to a excel , that's why I want to know if Jira has any API for it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2014

So you don't want to export the issue at all.

You want to export some information that you have extracted/calculated and displayed on the issue. That makes a lot more sense, now you've told us what you actually want ( assuming the data is broadly tabular)

I'd approach this in a similar way to the issue navigator handling excel exports of issue lists - that adds a link which goes to a servlet which pushes issue data through a .vm file to format it in an xml shape that a spreadsheet can understand.

I'd simply take a look at how the Jira excel vm is written - you should be able to see how $values are piped into there and wrapped in the relevant tags. (I don't think there's much API you can reuse - the navigator export is exporting issues so it needs to loop through a list of issues and their fields, but you've already got your data in your view tab, so you can reuse that)

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

@Nic: debugging the issue navigator was the second option , before that just want to confirm if jira provides any API ?.

It seems that I have to follow the jira's navigator option or write my custom excel converter :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2014

It's got Excel related API calls, but they are aimed at exporting fields from a list of issues, so I don't think they are going to help you much, as you've already got the data.

If you have a look at https://developer.atlassian.com/static/javadoc/jira/6.1/reference/com/atlassian/jira/issue/views/AbstractSearchRequestExcelView.htmlfor example, you'll see what I mean. (Also, use the "search" box to find more excel related API calls)

0 votes
Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

@zezeto: this page is present in the project panel page under browse project section

0 votes
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

Hi,
I think that you can develop an issue-view plugin or an issue operation plugin using a template file velocity (.vm). Or if you have a complicated export you can use an external library.
In our company, we have have developped an export word file plugin as an issue operation plugin using an external library xdocreport.

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

@zezeto: this page is present in the project panel page under browse project section

Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2014

Hi,

I have recently used the jxls API, look this link it can help you jXLS,

It's a good api that use a template to populate the file.

Suggest an answer