Is there anway to connect JIRA Incoming Mail with Exchange(Non IMAP/POP)? Plugin or otherwise?

chris taylor May 22, 2014

Our IT department does not want to expose POP/IMAP on our exchange server. We want to auto create tickets with our help desk email. Is there any plug ins out there or work arounds to retrieve emails directly from exchange without using IMAP or POP.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2014

I'm not sure about retrieving emails directly from exchange without using IMAP or POP.

However, you can use rest api to create ticket.

Any langaguge (java, vbscript, c#) can create it however you will need addtional code which will search the email and copy required content while creating the ticket.

chris taylor May 23, 2014

I am aware of API, I was hoping someone has already had experience in this large community we have and is either selling a plugin, or has documented some ways to integrate.

0 votes
Sotero Luis Bustamante Torres January 21, 2015

@chris taylor, Did you find solution for your problem ?. If so ... You can share it.

Thanks

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2014

Essentially, no.

MAPI is the protocol used by Exchange, it's closed-source, and has a cost to licence and use. I don't know if anyone has stumped up the cash and signed the agreements needed in order to create the code for a plugin that would handle it, but I do know that no-one has published such a plugin.

Your options have all been mentioned or at least hinted at already, but they all boil down to "work around so you don't use MAPI". Enable the standard, open protocols IMAP or POP on the Exchange server, persuade the Exchange server to dump the emails to text files, forward incoming email from Exchange to a proper mailbox, or make Exchange run scripts to poke things in over REST. (Enabling IMAP is the easiest option frankly. Or better, IMAPS)

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2014

If you can script up an email to disk operation, then a shared file system can also be used, JIRA has a 'Local Files' mail handler that will process 'text' email content.

Suggest an answer