Is there a work-around to enable copying a parent's Summary into the sub-task's Summary field?

Dean Flamberg August 26, 2014

Ideally on Sub-Task Create I would like to display the parent Summary field as the default Summary and allow the user to edit that. I found deferred feature requests so this appears not to be possible.

As an alternative, not displaying the Summary field and having the parent Summary copied into the Sub-Task summary on create would be acceptable. Users could then edit the Sub-Task if they wanted to change the Summary.

I tried implementing the above by not showing the Summary field on the create screen and adding a post function to copy the parent's Summary field into the Sub-Task Summary field. But creates then fail because the Summary field not empty validation precedes the post function.

Is there a way to copy the field value earlier OR to, without user interaction, add a dummy value to the Summary field to pass the validation check (and be overwritten by the post function)?

1 answer

0 votes
CEDRIC ZABEL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2014

I bet you could do this in Javascript. You’d have something trigger so when the “Create Sub-task” form content gets loaded, it would copy the summary from the “main” page into the summary input field on the “pop-up” page. I’ve done similar things before.

Something like:

JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function(e, context0, reason) {
    var context = AJS.$(context0);

if (context.parents("div#create-subtask-dialog").length < 1) return;

context.find("input#summary").val(AJS.$("#summary-val").text().trim());
});

Suggest an answer