Is there a way to standardize sub-task organization in JIRA projects?

Helpdesk July 1, 2016

Within the JIRA projects that I am responsible for managing we use a number of different sub-tasks and it is not uncommon to see issues with 10+ sub-tasks.

I am presently in the process of overhauling the sub-tasks contained in a project which is requiring me to move a lot of them around.  Unfortunately, when moved from one parent to another, the sub-tasks do not stay in the same order which requires me to painstakingly move them back into the proper order.

Presently, this is very inefficient.  Is there a setting or configuration that allows for sub-tasks to be automatically ordered and/or re-ordered when a new sub-task is added to the parent as part of a move or new sub-task creation?

Furthermore, if no such setting or configuration exists could we request one be created?

5 answers

0 votes
Helpdesk July 8, 2016

Here's what I'm trying to find a way to make more efficient:  I perform a bulk move of subtasks from one parent issue to another.  After being moved they are in an order that looks like this:

Subtask 2

Subtask 4

Subtask 3

Subtask 1

To put them in the correct order I have to use the arrow buttons on the right side of each subtask's entry which takes a lot of time as the page has to refresh every time I move something.  What I am trying to discern is if there is a way to make it so that every time I move subtasks they come into the new parent issue in the right order which for me would be based on the type of subtask.  Similary, I would like to have new subtasks placed in the correct order when they are created.  Is this something that is currently achievable or am I creating a wish list?

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2016

Sorry to prompt you with another question but – 

Is there a setting or configuration that allows for sub-tasks to be automatically ordered and/or re-ordered when a new sub-task is added to the parent as part of a move or new sub-task creation?

Can you clarify how you'd expect this to work? I'm not sure how to visualize what you're asking, you want new subtasks to be reordered in what sense?

0 votes
Helpdesk July 8, 2016

Yes, I am running on a cloud instance.  Most of the moving involves bulk moving the results of a filter, but I am also moving some subtasks individually through the more > move command in the subtask view screen.

0 votes
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2016

Are you running on a Cloud instance?

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2016

Can you tell us how you're moving these around?

Suggest an answer