Is there a way to see commits at a glance in JIRA?

Patrick Nelson September 16, 2015

Recently a development has occurred where the commits associated with a ticket are no longer displayed in the right side panel, but rather, have moved to a separate tab below the issue's details.

jira commits.png

While this new format is more aesthetically pleasing and easier to navigate (after clicking to view it), I've found it now more difficult at a glance to see if a developer has actually made any progress on a particular ticket. That is, you now have to go through an extra click to see if commits have occurred on this ticket or not (after you've already clicked to view the ticket). 

More specifically: Is there a method by which I can have number of commits immediately visible? e.g.

• Via adding a column in the ticket list view?
  • Via reverting back to old functionality (link on right panel with overlay)?
  • Via simply adding number of commits in the tab itself, e.g. "Commits (3)"?

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Collin Peters September 17, 2015

Yeah, I'm trying to find even a mention of this in the release notes and can't find anything. I'm not a fan of the new view because as far as I can tell, it only shows commits and not branches or pull requests. Am I missing something? I'd like it if the old panel could remain there in addition to the commits tab.

0 votes
Craig Halley September 17, 2015

I agree, I think showing at least a summary of the commits in the right-side panel is really useful for getting a quick view of progress on a ticket. I was using that extensively, and now the information is less convenient to find. I did notice that the commits are still displayed with each ticket when viewing them on a Board, but that view has changed to be much more verbose, such that it is less useful than it used to be, as the right side "inspector" column on the Board view is too narrow to show all of that information in a useful way.

I liked it the way it was, but with a few tweaks, the new way could be ok too.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2015

You'd probably want to raise a support issue with Atlassian to fix that. It should be there.

Suggest an answer