Is there a way to say "if this team, show this list of epic / labels / component options"

Alli Shea October 17, 2019

Hi, 

Right now, when we have bugs filed, the filer chooses the "team" it belongs to (example: UI team, Location team, etc.). 

We want to give the filer a list of options around what category that bug fits into.  

For example, our location team has a few core types of bugs, and when bugs are filed they'd like to empower the filer to put it in the correct category (ie drive bug, or map bug, etc.)

However, as far as I can tell there's not a way to change the issue lay-out to work in that way. Here's the ideal flow: 

• Once bug filers chooses Team
  • Then filer sees a list of drop-down categories specific to that team 

Is there a way to do this? Important to us is that user does not have to do any typing, and that the list changes *based* on the team assignment.  Ideally it would be a "if this, then that" type of experience where if team = UI, then the drop-down changes to show categories specific to that team so that filer isn't having to choose from 100+ categories.

Open to any configuration that will solve this problem. 

2 answers

0 votes
Krister Broman _Advania_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2019

I would suggest you think carefully about whether or not this would give good validity in the data gathered. Have your reporters actually the knowledge to choose correctly? My experience says that this is rarely the case....

Otherwise I would suggest to keep it simple and assign it to the main teams and let them categorize accordingly. 

As for the question There's a couple of ways to resolve this that i can see

1. Using multiple issuetypes - This would allow you to set the context of a field based on the issuetype. 

2. Using groovy script to update the select values in the field - i am not a super scripter so if you want to go this route then i suggest reading upon it and then if necessary posting a question specficially stating how you want it to work - quick search found this among other subjects: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Groovy-Update-a-custom-select-Value-using-a-Scriptrunner-for/qaq-p/460642

3. Marketplace add ons for using sub-components example: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=sub-component 

0 votes
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2019

Hi @Alli Shea,

Welcome to the Community!

This may have a bit of administrative overhead as teams and bug type change over time, but you might want to look at creating a custom field of the "Cascading Select List" type.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/custom-fields-types-in-classic-projects-972327807.html

What this allows you to do is have two linked drop down lists where the values in the second list will change depending on the value selected in the first list.

I hope that helps!

-Jimmy

Suggest an answer