Is there a way to resend sign up invitation email to the users?

Naz September 16, 2012

I have added a user who have not recived the sign up email. is there a way to resend it?

Thanks

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bruno Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 7, 2012

Nam, I believe you could invite the user again (the same way you have invited the first time!).. while the user has not connected yet (in your case because he haven't received the email), you can invite the same email address infinite times.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

You "believe"?

When I tried to re-invite an existing user who already exists I get the message "The specified email address belongs to a user that already exists." I could delete the user and invite them but I already put them in several groups/roles :-(

What about the situation when I just need to reset the users password? I don't want to pick the password and email it to them. There should be a whay to reset a password and they get a notification to login. I thought I saw how to do this somewhere but can't find it at the moment, thus I am off to open a ticket.

Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

The User you are inviting is already exist in JIRA and also as you said that you have already added him in serveral groups/roles, then why do you need to resend invitation? Or if you want to do so , then rename the user email ID in user profile and resend the invitation.

Regards

Onkar Ahire

Martin Gregory February 24, 2015

The reason to resend the invitation is because it expired! A user with a pending invitation can still be added to groups/roles...

10 votes
Deleted user March 18, 2015

BUMP

You would think this would have been addressed by now. I need to reinvite a user whose invitation expired before they tried to sign in. Having to completely delete the user and then reinvite them and recreate all their groups/roles/permissions is a bit absurd.

Martin Gregory March 18, 2015

I read somewhere that you can have them request a password reset, since they are a user now. Did you try that?

Deleted user March 18, 2015

I will do that but I don't consider it an ideal solution for new users. In most cases it would be more convenient for all involved if there were simply a way to resend the invitation. Hence the bump.

Yelena Keselman March 26, 2015

/\/\/\/\ agreed with Cheryl. I need to re-invite a group of customer users and its not ideal to make them hit forget password

6 votes
Jeffrey Edison April 1, 2015

If there were an "Invite Users" (envelope icon), then I would be happy. But there isn't.

Bonnie Snipes April 17, 2015

Agreed! On the User Management page, it says my user's invitation expired. I just want to send them a new invitation!

5 votes
Marieke Post May 6, 2015

WOW, this is bizar. I can only say JIRA is the most user unfriendly application I have used in over 10 years. This issue should not be an issue at all! How basic can it get?! I have been looking for over 30 minutes of my valuable time to find a way to get my colleague new log in details. Excuse my french but WTF!?

3 votes
david metzler April 30, 2015

This still seems to be a problem.  I have tried deactivating/reactivating, but there is no menu for resending the invitation.  I have 3 users who never clicked the email, so they are locked out and can't activated their account.  The only way I can see to restart the process is to manually set a password for the user, and then tell them what it is.  That completely defeats the purpose of an invitation, and then I have to ask the user create their own password. 

How can we bump this into a bug fix?  There definitely needs to be a 'resend invitation' - like there is in every other piece of software that has this feature.

2 votes
Maria Ronacher May 18, 2015

Almost 3 years have passed and the problem still hasn't been solved? Are you kidding me? How hard can it be?

Piotr Klimkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2015

Hi, is this https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users#ManagingUsers-Invitingusers not working correctly? I just tried sending an invitation for a single email address a couple of times and emails were sent (JIRA 6.4.3).

Martin Gregory May 23, 2015

Piotr, How is this link relevant? As far as I can see (excuse me if I missed something) this link tells us what we already know: how to send an initial invitation. The problem is "what do we do if that invitation expires?".

Piotr Klimkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2015

Hi Martin, I just tried it (for testing I made it expire after 1min instead of 1 week) and I was able to send the invitation for the same email address after initial invite has expired (just by hitting the "Invite Users" again). You sure we're talking about the same action? Or is it about creating users with the option "Send Notification Email" enabled?

Rebecca Downes May 26, 2015

Hi Piotr. I'm also trying to solve this problem as I need to re-invite a user with an expired invitation. When I go to our User Management page (we're on cloud so e.g. https://myexamplesite.atlassian.net/admin/users) there is no Invite Users option that I can see. The only way to generate an invite that I've found is when you're creating a new users. Am I looking at the wrong user management screen? The link you've provided above shows a user management screen that looks very different to the one that I see on our site.

Martin Gregory May 26, 2015

Me too - like Rebecca.

Piotr Klimkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2015

Cloud you say, now it makes sense. Will try to look into that sometime soon.

Darin Sullivan June 1, 2015

Geeez, this is pretty basic stuff. I can't believe that I'm experiencing this same issue: Inability to resend an invitation email to new users (on JIRA cloud). In my case, invitation hasn't expired but new users are attempting to load a filter that I shared, after I had created their accounts, but before they click/tap the "Set my password" button in the invitation email.

0 votes
Eric Franklin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2015

Hi all,

Just thought I'd provide a link to the following feature request. It looks like the feature you are looking for (to be able to resend or manually send an invitation) has been implemented, but not released in the product. Please take a look, vote on the issue, and add yourselves as watchers so you can receive updates. 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-83

-E

0 votes
Jorg Saretzki May 14, 2013

This issue is a bit back, but might still be interesting for others searching for, or bumping into it. What I guess Naz did was to setup users via the User Management interface believing (and being a logical step) that adding a new user would generate an email to this user with access details. This isn't the case unless "Send Notification Email" is selected on the dialog that appears when the "Create User" button is selected.

Instead what I think Bruno suggested was to not setup the user via User Management, but to select the "Invite Users" (envelope icon) button on the top right of the User Management screen.

Suggest an answer