It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is there a way to reorder the comments in the new JIRA issue view?

Can you order the comments from newest to oldest on the new issue view?

7 answers

2 accepted

This did not work for me. I've changed it to desc but it still renders comments in ascending order, oldest on top to newest on the bottom. I've changed it back and forth between asc and desc a number of times, and the sort order remains the same.

Like # people like this

This did not work for me either.  Specifically on the new views:

• Backlog / issue preview pane on the right side
  • Active Sprints / issue overlay
  • Main issue (new) view

I am able to sort the order of comments on the old issue view.

In the new views, the arrow down next to the Comments is just a drop down to switch it between Comments and History (and not a toggle for sort order).  That was a little misleading.

Like Emilio Reyes Le Blanc likes this

This does not work for me either, same issues as Thuy-Van Watts in previous comment.

The link states that this doesn't work for the new issue field so this answer is wrong!

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Theresa,

head over to the advanced settings Jira Settings -> System -> General Configuration and in the upper right is a button called "Advanced Settings". There you have a property called "jira.issue.actions.order" and this can be changed to "desc" from "asc" but will also influence the visualization of other data as also commented under the setting.

Best, Max

You're welcome Theresa, please feel free to accept this comment and others as solution for other users looking for the same information in the future :) 

This did not work for me.

Like # people like this

It does not work for me.

Like # people like this
Kathy Hart Community Leader Jun 19, 2019

If this did work, wouldn't it change the view for ALL users on our Cloud system? This is not a solution I'm comfortable with. 

Like Stuart likes this

IS there a way of doing this for the individuals that want it and not for all? 

Another step back on this update. 

This issue is for the new issue view and it's not working for me.

It's getting frustrating when a seemingly simple but very useful feature is not available in the new issue view.  

Comments re-ordering is available - Ascending/Descending 
You will find the upward/downward arrow option next to Comments Tab to re-order

Kathy Hart Community Leader Jun 19, 2019

You are looking at the old view. The arrow is not available in the new view. 

Like Ray Oei likes this

@Tansu AkdenizYou  are sending  link  for Jira server,   @Theresa DeLone you  will  need to  click  the link Tansu  sent  to  cloud, then try to  perform  changes base on  documentation.

Thank you for the replies, I was able to make the change.

Why doesn't this also affect the modal window?  It only affects the full-screen view.

If you care about having this as a user preference, please vote for this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-5443

And/or this one, for folks who haven't given in to The Cloud:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-5443

Atlassian's been ignoring it for nearly 15 years now, probably because we're writing comments and questions in the "Community" rather than voting for the right issue.

You'd think Atlassian would have figured out how to store user preferences by now. Thousands of their customers certainly have figured it out for their own products.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

841 views 5 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you