Is there a way to quickly create an issue, without going to my company JIRA?

Eren Gokcek August 18, 2016

I'm not interested in creating issues via email – looks too complicated. I'm not willing to pay for JIRA capture for this either. I just would like to see a chrome extension or something similar that doesn't require me to go to JIRA each time. 

The amount of clicks JIRA requires to just a create an issue is just ridiculous, and VERY SLOW.

It's 2016! Come on JIRA there's gotta be an easier way! 

8 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2016

Sounds like you've over-complexified the config of the issues, and might have a JIRA system that you've not given enough attention to in terms of performance.

You haven't really given a clear spec for what you'd want from some form of "simple create", so I can't point you at anything in particular.  But, there's always the REST interface - for one of my projects where I wanted a quick create (because the admins had let the project leaders make it too complex) I wrote a short shell script that let me raise issues in a single command.  You could easily do something like that yourself, to match your needs.

Eren Gokcek August 18, 2016

Thanks for your answer Nic.

I'm not a technical person. I don't really want to deal with REST interface etc. All I want from JIRA is to be user friendly and keep things simple. Like everything else on JIRA this processes is extremely over engineered. For example, say I'm a product manager and would like to report a bug I found on our website. This requires me to:

1. Go to company JIRA site
  2. Click on create to create issue
  3. Select the project name and fill out the issue creator. 
  4. And click submit. 

This takes a good amount of time. Instead, isn't there a free extension (or something simpler to use) where I can create an issue within my browser straight away. I'm not sure what level of detailed spec do you really need for this. This should just be common sense for better usability and getting the job done in a smaller amount of time - shouldn't it?

Think Trello, how simple and user friendly interface it is. Comes with useful extensions and it allows me to get the job done way quicker than JIRA. Why is JIRA always so complicated, over-engineered and such a slow system to use?

Or am I the only one who thinks that?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2016

I don't see how you can simplify those four steps without customising or writing something for yourself.  An add-on is not going to know where your site is, what the project is, who you are in that JIRA system, or any of the data you want to fill in.

The spec you'd need would effectively have to hard-code that data.

"Think Trello" - where you have to go to the site, click create, select the right information, and click select.  As you do in JIRA.

Why is JIRA always so complicated, over-engineered and such a slow system to use?

1. It's complex because it's powerful, but your administrators have not tried to make it as simple as you'd like.
  2. It's over-engineered because that's what you've done.  It's perfectly possible to simplify an issue create down to "fill in a summary", and automate it, but that's obviously not what yours is configured for
  3. It's probably slow because you've misconfigured it.

Most of the problems you're railing against here are things that need to go to your project leads and JIRA admins, they're not particularly flaws in the product.

Like Olivia Hydari likes this
Olivia Hydari January 22, 2019

its because the UX is not as good as Trello. It looks like they are making improvements which is good. lets see what happens. 

Like # people like this
Jane Brooks April 15, 2019

I can remove some steps. Create a URL for the issue type, like this: http://sevesujira.aka.amazon.com/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?&pid=11600&issuetype=7
PID is the project ID. I get that by going to the project (cog > Projects > project_name), then hovering my mouse over Details on the leftnav.
issuetype is the number of the issue type I want (in this case, Story, which is 7 by default) - I get this by hovering my mouse over the issue type in the leftnav or the list of issue types in the Summary.

I use this in conjunction with setting the Create Issue permission to Anyone.

With this URL, my user gets the Create Issue screen for the issue type I want them to have, and they don't have to select the Project or Issue Type before seeing the fields they want.

Instructions are here, including much more that you can specify in the URL. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/creating-issues-via-direct-html-links-159474.html

Like Chad Wight likes this
1 vote
Akhil_vs August 18, 2016

You can use issue collector and create a JavaScript that can be added in your website that enables you to create issue in jira.

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2016

Hi @Eren Gokcek

I am not convinced by your argument "I'm not interested in creating issues via email – looks too complicated."

It's an easy way to create  new issue, just send a mail to an email address thats it! It's simpler than logging in and finding your project etc.

Derek Wailes June 6, 2019

I agree, Its by far the simplest way to create issues. 

1 vote
Sam Huawey August 18, 2016

You can do it using REST interface and a command line tool like curl. Just create a template file with project and other fields set and a simple linux script that accepts subject as a command line parameter and contains login details. After that you will be able to post tickets with minimum efforts from console: Ctrl+R, <your script name>, replace subject, Enter.

0 votes
Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2017

Eren, you can use Jirassimo IntakeForms to create issues in seconds. It's embeddable on any website/Confluence.

Cheers,

Vlad

0 votes
Tom Platner August 19, 2016

Akhil made the right recommendation,  use the JIRA issue collector!   Allows one to fill in a quick form with relevant capture of information and autmatically it gets pushed into JIRA as the new issue.   From there,  workflows can drive the issue thru resolution.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2016

If you are using JIRA Cloud, take a look at the mobile app from Atlassian. 

0 votes
Deleted user August 18, 2016

You might want to look at Track Duck it's a free

Add on that creates issues in JIRA while your reviewing/working an App. 

Suggest an answer