Is there a way to manually plug a new licence into JIRA mid-upgrade?

Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2013

Hi Everyone,

So I'm embarking on upgrading to JIRA 6, and I'm starting by doing so on our test server. I forgot to add a newer developer licence into JIRA before I started, so now on startup I get:

2013-05-28 16:15:21,828 Thread-2 ERROR      [atlassian.jira.license.LicenseJohnsonEventRaiserImpl] The current license is too old (21/Mar/13) to run this version (6.0 - Sun May 19 00:00:00 MDT 2013) of JIRA.
2013-05-28 16:15:21,828 Thread-2 ERROR      [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeLauncher] No upgrade is being performed due to detected inconsistencies. The current license is too old to install this version of JIRA (6.0)

Is there any way to plug a new licence at this time? On the web side all pages just say "The service is unavailable."

I am upgrading using the manual WAR method (since we run many Tomcat instances on each server).
Thanks,
Graham.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2013

Hi Graham,

I don't think it is possible to do that. The safest method is to create a staging environment and start it using the current release version of JIRA so you can access it without any issue to update the license.

When the licenses are updated, you can try to upgrade again to JIRA 6. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2013

Fair enough. Thanks.

0 votes
jose_castro May 1, 2015

@Graham Bakay This is a pretty old post. However just wanted to let you know. You can manually update the license using [this|https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Get+and+Update+JIRA+License+String+from+the+Database] process. 

Thanks,
Ramiro Castro
Support Engineer
Atlassian

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes in “A Scandal in Bohemia” by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Suggest an answer