Is there a way to make issues change status automatically based on linked issue status?

Jonathan Avida October 4, 2012

I've created a new issue type called 'requirement' which may be linked (in a 'depends on' link) to one or more user stories.

When all the user stories that a 'requirement' depends on are resolved, I want the requirement to automatically change its status to resolved as well.

Is there any way to do this?

2 answers

1 vote
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2013

You want JIRA Workflow Toolbox; recently tried it out and it works great.

Lakshmi Kiran Ponnapalli March 26, 2013

Please advise me which post function we need to use.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2013

Hey, I already provided it in my answer - I'll put it here again. The instructions state what post functions you need to use and how. :)

Thansk this is great. I am able to fix it .. but run into one more issue. one feature can mapped to mutiple stories. I want to excedue the post function only all stories are resloved.

is there a way to place a validation ?

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2013

Hey there,

Yes, you could use either "Condition on linked issues" or "Validation on linked issues"; you add them to the transitions in the feature workflow to prevent it from being transitioned unless the linked issues you dictate meet the criteria you select. Please note that it's based off of status, though, and not resolution (hopefully it still meets your needs). :)

FMassaro January 25, 2019

Sorry for the silly question... I am setting up Jira software on a  cloud instance for our company for a demo. Is there a version of Jira workflow toolbox that can run in the cloud or is it necessary to have the server/dc hosted version to have this kind of add-on?

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2012

You will have to write a workflow post function that finds the dependent issues and progress them in the workflow.

Which post function we need to select ? is there any existing one ?

Pokala Venkatesh January 3, 2018

It only possible with the script. We already worked the same with scripting..........................

Suggest an answer