Is there a way to make custom field show up in Description area on main View Issue screen?

I have created two description fields, Functional Change Description (which will describe the functional/business changes requested) and Technical Change Description (which describes the technical changes requested). Currently, the show on the main View Issue screen inside the "Details" section. I would prefer for them to show up inside the "Description" area. Is it possible to define which section of the main View Issue screen to display custom fields?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

You cant do this without editing a bundled plugin and that is not an option in JIRA onDemand.

Jobin, thanks for the info. I assumed that was the case, but figured I would confirm. I assume the answer is the same, but is there a way to change the width of the labels on the main View Issue Screen? My custom description fields (just the label, not the text) show up on the main View Issue screen truncated, since the column for the field label is not wide enough.

Also, for both of these changes (changing the area that the custom fields show up in and widening the label area on the main View Issue window), are they possible in the installed version of Jira? If so, how would one go about that? We currently have OnDemand, but are planning on going to an installed version, so I figured I would ask.

Thanks Jobin! I imagine I will be wanting to customize a number of pieces after we install Jira, so that info is very helpful.

Both the changes would need editing the "view-issue" bundled plugin. Something like this : http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2012/05/modifying-atlassian-bundled-plugins.html

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,300 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot