Is there a way to make a field 'not required' for select individuals

Parmiss Manesh July 7, 2013

In JIRA On Demand, is there a way to make a custom field 'not required' for select individuals? While keeping it 'Required' for the rest of the users?

Thanks,

Parmiss

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2013

I do not think it is possible to configure this. Depending on your exact needs, you could choose to create 2 separate transitions. The first transition you limit to be performed by the people for which you want the field to be required. The second transition you limit to be performed by the other users, in which you do NOT make the field in question required. I think you can only configure this in any transitions beyond the create issue transition. Please have a look at this page, and in particular the conditions and validators section.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2013

Do you want to control it during creation or later in a transition? If On Demand allows the JIRA suite utilities you can do it on transitions by having a different transition setup for the select people. They would need to be part of a group or role you can limit the transition to. You'd want to exclude them from the allowed group for the 'required field' transition to avoid confusion of which one to use. If during creation I belive you're out of luck.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2013

No.

You can't even do that on Jira if you host it yourself.

There are plugins that might help you - behaviours and the field security plugin are the two that spring to mind, but I don't think either are usable in OnDemand.

You do have the option of controlling edits by doing it all in the workflow instead though - you remove the fields from the edit screens and create transitions that can only be used by the two sets of poeple, using validators to make it mandatory for one set of users. Rather fiddly though.

Suggest an answer