It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is there a way to know which custom fields are used in which projects from Custom Fields Page?

As JIRA Administrators, we have access to Custom Fields page wherein we can create new custom fields. Once the field is created, we associate them to screens. And screen schemes are then associated to Projects.

Is there a way to know, from the Custom Field page just like screens or workflows, as to which custom fields are getting used in which projects?

Objective: 

We want to rename & delete certain custom fields but before doing that, we would like to know this custom fields are used in which all projects.

Thanks,
Milan

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Lister Community Leader Jan 06, 2019

Hi @Milan Chheda

Take a look at this post of mine using SQL to answer a similar question.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-there-a-way-to-see-all-connected-issue-types-to-custom-field/qaq-p/947655

There is no quick way to get this info from the Jira pages.

Thanks Tom, but I don't have access to database. 

Is there an alternative? Or any add-on?

Tom Lister Community Leader Jan 06, 2019

Hi Milan

This looks useful

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216607/custom-field-manager-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

I’ve not tried it. There may others on the Atlassian Marketplace 

This looks like a helpful add-on. Thanks Tom!

Alternatively, you may have a look at the list of screens this field is added and get the list of projects use those screens. May not be 100% accurate but still it helps.

Thanks @Vishnukumar Vasudevan [ACP-JA], but that would be completely manual, cumbersome and error-prone. Also, the number of projects in JIRA are lot, and hence there are many screens too. Doing it manually, is probably the last resort but definitely requires lots of effort, of going thru each screen manually. 

Yes, it is. But can be consider if you are not supposed to install any third party add-ons in your instances and agree that it's error-prone. 

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published Apr 09, 2019 in Portfolio for Jira

Portfolio for Jira 3.0 is here!

The wait is over... Portfolio for Jira Server and Data Center 3.0 is now officially here! Platform releases offer Atlassian an opportunity to shift our strategy, make bold predictions about t...

1,343 views 14 25
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you