Is there a way to know when an issue is being duplicated so that you can perform some action/check?

Randy July 18, 2017

I've been asked to handle situations where when a bug is duplicated I need to perform some checks and or copy some of the fields over from the master bug to the duplicated bug. I don't believe this is doable through workflow transitions or behaviours? Can anyone confirm? Would a eventlistener through scriptrunner accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2017

Hi Randy,

First of all you need to define what duplication means, for example if it's based on a paticular field being equal to one on an non resolved issue and then define the action to take.

i have a similar requirement to close tickets created if they had a certain field with the same value as an unresolved ticket.

i handle this case with a scritptrunner postfunction to automatically close the issue and then move it as a subtask of the open issue.

Randy July 18, 2017

Hi Gaston,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for the confusion. For my particular situation I was speaking more of when a user changes the issue link of a bug to "Duplicates". I need to detect and act upon that event.

I don't think this happens with behaviours or a workflow transition as you are not going through a state change for the latter. And therefore was wondering if this was even possible to detect. Am new to eventlisteners and was wondering if that would detect if anyone knew?

Thanks,

Randy

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2017

It's an issue with a long history:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-8505

I have to deal with it using a database trigger (not recommended) back in jira 4, it's hard to maintain and obscure.

May be you can detect with an event listener when a bug is resolved with the Duplicate resolution, this can be captured.

The other solution might be a service that runs every certain time to detect this relationships.

Randy July 18, 2017

Hi Gaston,

That is what I had found but I had hoped I had interrupted that incorrectly.

Thanks so much for the confirmation and ideas. It's really appreciated.

-Randy

Suggest an answer