Is there a way to integrate Ansible with hosted Jira?

Mark Kleinhaus March 3, 2016

We automate active directory user and mailbox creation with Ansible via Powershell, wondering if there's a way for Ansible to automatically kick off new tickets in JIRA to certain projects. Anyone have a solution they've used?

1 answer

0 votes
Jerker Montelius March 8, 2016

Ansible is able to create JIRA tickets. Se:

http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/jira_module.html

Ex.

# Create a new issue and add a comment to it:
- name: Create an issue
  jira: uri={{server}} username={{user}} password={{pass}}
        project=ANS operation=create
        summary="Example Issue" description="Created using Ansible" issuetype=Task
  register: issue

- name: Comment on issue
  jira: uri={{server}} username={{user}} password={{pass}}
        issue={{issue.meta.key}} operation=comment
        comment="A comment added by Ansible"
Selva G August 20, 2019

Is there any other way around.  Means, need to provision a vm when the ticket submitted in the JIRA Servicedesk. 

If yes, any documents or link pls? 

Elvy Feliz January 18, 2020

I also would like to know if there's a way to trigger an ansible playbook when a ticket is created or set to a specific status. 

Armando Wirshing February 18, 2020

Elvy,

Yes.  If you'd like to see how this works, we have a demo of JSD and Ansible Automation showing a basic deployment of Nginx or Apache to AWS depending on selections made on a JSD ticket by a requestor.  

Like Colm McGrath likes this
Elvy Feliz February 19, 2020

Hey Armando,

Yeah, where can I see the demo?

Like # people like this
Raghu Kumar August 18, 2020

Looks like we are all waiting to get some guidance on this.. the end goal is to use Jira Service Desk as a Service Catalog and Workflow manager and trigger a job in Ansible Tower once approved.. Anyone have any luck with this yet?

I know we have the service catalog in red hat cloud but looking to use JSD as we are currently using it for raising requests and operational tasks.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Like Nicolas Houillon likes this
Allen January 21, 2021

So with Jira Server (on-prem) it is fairly easy to setup integrations with Ansible Tower but now that things are moving towards cloud it's a little more challenging.

Will post any results if I'm able to get the cloud stuff to work. It's a little more locked down than on-prem/self-hosted JSD

Sumit Gupta April 27, 2022

@Armando Wirshing Its been an year, we are looking for the guidance for triggering Ansible playbook when a jira is created. Is there a public confluence or knowledge base for it ?

Suggest an answer