Is there a way to have JIRA strip attachments from incoming email?

Derek Sheeman April 2, 2014

We are utilizing some mailboxes for JIRA to update tickets, the problem is the dozens and dozens of small attachments from users sig files are all getting added to the issue as well. I can find no way to prevent this without turning off attachments entirely.

Is there a way within JIRA to solve this?

6 answers

2 votes
Derek Sheeman March 19, 2015

I have not, the mail handling in JIRA is fairly immature. It really seems like there should be a 'allow attachments y/n' button in the mail handler configs.

0 votes
Jim Schnedar March 20, 2017

While we understand that the answer does not address Derek's question, we also think that removing the posted response is not ideal as it might indirectly resolve other's customers issues as the procedure is completely valid to strip mail quotes and signatures.

Being a community forum, Atlassian Answers provides anyone to set a response as not useful by simply downvoting it. That way, customers with the same question will see that the provided response is not useful at all. Please feel free to add your comments to the topic and downvote it, as I already did.

If I can be of any further assistance, please, let me know.
Kind Regards,
Paulo
Atlassian Support

Derek Sheeman March 21, 2017

Now I'm curious, after 3 years, what prompted this response?  It adds nothing to the thread.

0 votes
Derek Sheeman October 18, 2016

I have never found a solution to this, it plagues us to this day.

0 votes
Muggie van Staden May 9, 2016

Hi @Derek Sheeman

Did you ever manage to get feedback on this?  Is there a plugin that perhaps allows one to do this?

Thanks

0 votes
Carlos Olle-Francisco February 6, 2015

Derek, I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

0 votes
Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2014

Hello,

Yes it's possible.

it would be to configure an 'Add a comment before a specified marker or separator in the email body' mail handler:

On the Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue dialog box, complete the following fields/options:

Split Regex:

Specify a regular expression matching the text that separates the content of the email message mail body from the signature content in the body.

For example:

/----\s*Original Message\s*----/

or

/_____________*/

Please Note:

• The regex must begin and end with a delimiter character, typically '/'.
  • Commas are not allowed in a regex, as they are used to separate each mail handler field/option when they are integrated into a JIRA service and there is not (as yet) an escape syntax.

More of this subject on this documentation

I holpe it helps!

Cheers,

Pedro Souza.

Derek Sheeman April 2, 2014

I am a bit uncertain how this can be used to prevent attachments from being processed. I had reviewed that documentation prior to the question.

Not all sig files start the same way...

Carlos Olle-Francisco February 6, 2015

This method seems to work to strip out old contents from the email thread but it does not prevent attachments from make it to the work item.

Like Zehra Atmaca likes this
Derek Sheeman February 8, 2015

What Carlos said is true, this usually chops out the excess in a reply chain, but all attachments still wind up on the issue. Sometimes, the same sig file attachments show up dozens of times each, once for every time someone replies to the chain with the sig images in it.

Suggest an answer