Is there a way to force a format input for a custom field?

Jasen Sparacino December 16, 2015

We have a text filed that we are entering a series of coordinates in.  We are having a problem with people entering the order, or format, correctly.  I am wondering if there is a way to reject the field input if it doesn't match the defined criteria. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2015

A couple of ways to do this:

• Restrict that Custom Field to be edited in a transition screen only (remove it from the Edit Screen) then put some validations in the post-function to reject the value if it's not correct (I guess a script runner or JIRA Misc Workflow)
  • Create a JavaScript/jQuery in the Custom Field's description field which will do what you want.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2015

I'd like to second Gabrielle's recommendation. Specifically in this case, I would use a *Regular Expression Validator* provided by Misc Workflow Extensions to enforce your custom format. Using Javascript to validate is not ideal as it can be easily bypassed.

Suggest an answer