Is there a way to finish 1 workflow and transition to a new workflow?

Jeffrey Wong May 26, 2017

I'd like to create 2 workflows.  Essentially Phase 1 and then Phase 2 of a process.

Certain user group would be able to see Phase 1 and another user group would be able to see Phase 2.

Is this possible?

2 answers

0 votes

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2017

No, that's a broken idea.  The only way you could do it in JIRA is to change the issue type at the end of the first phase, which is a non-trivial act involving data validation and migration.

Or, you could close the issue at the end of phase 1 and have some code create a new issue of a different type with the other half of your process in it.

But the idea is broken - you only really have one process here, albeit with labels for phases 1 and 2.  So you should have a single workflow to cover it.  If there are times when phase 1 won't go into phase 2, that's fine, place conditions on the transistion to prevent it.

Thanks for the reply. Not my ideal situation, but I didn't know how to allow certain tasks visable by some people and the remaining tasks visable to another group.

From the Boards view, is it possible to setup permissions that achieve what I want?  Essentially User Group 1 can see steps 1-5 and User Group 2 can see setups 6-10.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2017

Depends on how you want when you say "visibility". 

If the issues should be completely hidden from users while in certain states, then you have a couple of options. 

One is to use "issue security", setting and changing an issue's "security level" as the status changes.  This can be a bit of a pain because you have to get the levels completly right, and users can change the levels independently of the workflow.

The other option that springs to mind is more locked to the workflow - you use "workflow properties" to say "browse issue visibility = group/role X in status Y and something different in status Z"

In both cases though, there's a usability problem to think through - a user could put an issue into a status where they can't see it.  Then you've got the pain of "Hey, I clicked on 'send to test' and you deleted my issue!"

If however, you have the more open and honest approach where the issue is visible to everyone, but can only be moved through steps 1-5 by group 1 and 6-10 by group 2, then you are probably only looking at the boards and reporting.  That's easy because you get group 1 to implement a board that says "and status in 1-6" and group 2 to use a board that says "and status in 6-10"

Suggest an answer