Is there a way to execute a stored procedure from JIRA to an external database?

Kelsey Collins February 23, 2016

We want to create a record in the external (not JIRA) database based off of a field in a JIRA issue. It is a simple SQL statement that would take user information and add it to the external database when an issue is submitted for new user/employee setup. We currently use the Database Custom Field add-on to pull a dropdown list populated by data from the external database but we cannot identify a way to write data back to the database.

1 answer

0 votes
Kelsey Collins February 24, 2016

In a workflow post  function, we need the ability to run an SQL execute statement to execute a stored procedure on a database other than the JIRA DB. 

Example:  on the transition of a UA – New User item from ‘Open’ to ‘Account Creation’ we need a post function that will execute a script similar to this EXEC MyServer.MyDB.dbo.MyStoredProc @Param1, @Param2

Christian Jaya January 12, 2018

hello I have the same problem,

i need to run an oracle store procedure from JIRA, but i dont understand your post, please, can you tell me where exactly i must put the sentece that you describe above, and please explain me all the parameters that you use

XEC MyServer.MyDB.dbo.MyStoredProc @Param1, @Param2

even de reserved words

thank you so much

karthik_kande February 5, 2019

We do have the same requirement, is there any documented approach or process as how a Jira application(anything  core app, sd, software) talks to database stored procedures of external database server. 

We have lot many procedures to be called upon and take results and make the appropriate changes to the Jira workflow process. 

we do have script runner from adaptivist.  we do not want to split the code base into different post functions, some generic way?? 

any documented way  ? really appreciate it. 

Thanks advance..

Suggest an answer