Is there a way to easily require a Comment upon "assign"

Tim Verbanec August 9, 2013

Hello, I am looking for a way to require a Comment whenever an issue is assigned. I have seen a workaround by turning off the "Global Assign" functionality and then creating new transitions that include a required field but hoping there is an easier/quicker solution that does not involve Global Settings in JIRA 5.2 or 6?

Thanks in advance for any help

~Tim

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2013

What you're doing is right. All you need to do is get the "Field Required" validator (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities). If i'm not mistaken, it does that. If not, try this (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions).

0 votes
Tim Verbanec August 12, 2013

Thanks Timothy and Udo!

Thank you for the nudge in the right direction regarding JiraSuiteUtilities...however it seems I can look for null at any field except "comment". I wil try to socialize changing the field to something else that I can modify and make this viable to make mandatory for each assign operation.

Not sure what to do with: jira.permission.assign = denied (for details see here)

It seems that this would disable comments from being shown/made and then allow me to insert my new field with the above workaround...?

Thanks!

~Tim

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2013

Instead of turning off Global Assign functionality you could use workflow properties on each step.

jira.permission.assign = denied (for details see here)

Beside that you could proceed as Timothy described,

Suggest an answer