Is there a way to do a custom field: date *range*

james scott August 1, 2016

I want to setup a new custom field which wont be one specific date (or date/time) but a range:  Like 08/05/2016 through 08/15/2016.    The only way I've found so far is define two custom fields  'start date/time' and an 'end date/time'.

3 answers

1 vote
Joshua Christensen August 31, 2016

I've been looking for this feature too. I would LOVE a date range custom filed that the JIRA Calendar gadget could consume.

1 vote
james scott August 4, 2016

Well the first thing that comes to mind is that I put the Calendar on the Dashboard.   Discrete dates show up as 'issues' on the start and end dates only.   Yes, the next step would be for the calendar folks to adopt the 'range' functionality and show the 'issue' on each day of the range.

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2016

I don't think there's such a custom field type.

May you elaborate on how it would be more useful than having two independent custom fields?

Esther Strom October 3, 2017

Well, this wasn't my question originally, but seeing as it's been more than a year and the OP didn't answer, I'll add my two cents.

If you have two independent fields, they show up on the calendar as entries on those exact dates only. A date range would show up as entries on the first date and last date, and also on all dates in between.

For example, if I'm making a vacation request to have October 1st through October 7th off, using separate start and end fields would result in a calendar entry on the 1st and another on the 7th. But for the calendar to be accurate about when I'm actually on vacation, it would need to show entries on October 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. 

Like # people like this
Argi Karunia June 10, 2021

Another example is when there's a request to export data from database where it needs to define the date range of the data to be exported.

The workaround of this is to create "Data start date" and "Data end date", but there's a situation where the requestor made a mistake where the end date is earlier than the start date. In this case, a date range would be really helpful to validate such case.

Suggest an answer