Is there a way to disable CAPTCHA for a particular user in Jira?

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2015

Is there a way to disable CAPTCHA for a particular user in Jira?

8 answers

2 votes
mrPsycho August 26, 2019

no answers from atlassian? 

Dawid March 12, 2021

No answer

2 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2015

all or none

If possible would that not be a security whole?

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2015

I don't see why it would be a security hole for me as an administrator to designate one account to have captchas disabled. I am attempting to get authentication working for a service account to use the API, and having captchas turned on everytime my login attempts fail a few times is a pain because it means that any future attempts will definitely fail until I clear it.

darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2015

If using the API would the password be correct everytime?

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2015

in theory, yes. I'm trying to configure a 3rd party application to connect to the API. Not really sure why I'm getting authentication errors, but the captcha is slowing my ability to debug the issue.

darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2015

ahh I see.. hmmm.. I would 1st maybe use a dev instance, what is the 3rd party app?

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 24, 2015

Yeah, I probably should use a dev instance. I will try that today if my next attempt doesn't work. I'm trying to configure the new Hygieia Dashboard from Capital One.

1 vote
Dawid May 8, 2019

We have same issue on our integration with JIRA using API - from time to time we get capcha validation for service account used for the integration altrough we always use valid user name and password.

Any solution for that?

I would see a possibility to add list of exception in JIRA where admins could add all system accounts to disable cptcha at all for them.

1 vote
Rodri Alvarez April 22, 2019

Same problem here. Is there any way to disable this CATPCHA verification for all Service accounts used internally in Bamboo? 

1 vote
darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2015

I wouldn't say it is a security hole.. Plus you would turn it off if connected to Active Directory if it was being used for user management. So would depend on the use case.

But it is all or nothing if using JIRA to manage users

0 votes
Adrian_Tan June 10, 2020

I'm also looking at the possibility of disable for just some specific accounts. 

For some weird reason, my API calls are getting 403 / 401s despite the fact that I'm using correct credentials.  The issue is actually very intermittent. A total failure happens when the CAPTCHA is triggered. Someone has to go to the admin page and reset login count.

It's a huge problem for us right now and I see that some are getting the same authentication failure issue.

Dmitry Shinelev March 12, 2021

Did you find any solution how to fix it? I am struggling with the same issue.
My research tells me that there is no flexible solution. Am I not right?

Nutanix_Jira-admin May 25, 2021

Hi @Adrian_Tan / @Dmitry Shinelev ,

Any solution for this? I am not sure why is this happening for service accounts as these are used in scripts and password will be constant unless it is updated manually.

Did we found any root cause for this?

Dmitry Shinelev May 25, 2021

@Nutanix_Jira-adminunfortunately no, there is no way to disable CAPTCHA for a particular user in standalone Jira.

0 votes
Remedy Partners July 26, 2018

having the same trouble. once every few months the captcha is triggered 

0 votes
bwalk January 6, 2017

Tim, in your comment you mentioned that you were getting authentication errors and the captcha was being triggered for your service user.  Did you ever figure out why?  I am having the same problem (the password is correct for all requests).

Suggest an answer