Is there a way to default the Fix Version for a project?

Liz Neiley August 14, 2013

I am a newer admin user to JIRA. I have searched several pages and couldn't find the answer. I'm under a timeline to get this address. I would like to default the fix version on the project because right now most of them are blank. I have updated the existing ones, but would like to prevent this from happening in the future. While I can require the field, I would like to default it to save users time.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2013

you can't set default values for system fields for this feature issue has submitted

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-4812

you can try with JavaScript or using post function you can fill the version

Liz Neiley August 15, 2013

Thank you for the response and the link to the request.

Jason Yip August 2, 2018

As far as I can tell, you can't set the Fix Version via post function either.

0 votes
Sasa Stojakovic May 27, 2019

Hello,

My response is probably coming late but I would like to share my workaround.

I simply created a custom field which is based on values provided in Version (Project Settings), I created a context for this field related to the project and there I was able to define a default value for this custom field. A the end I just copy value from this field to fixVersion field during issue creation transition. I used a plug-in workflow post function but it is may available in native Jira post-functions.

No code required and works fine!!

0 votes
Błażej O_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2013

I think you could do something like this with Behaviours plugin.

You set a certain scripted behaviour depending on values of desired fields.

We use almost identical script to set summary depending on issuetype chosen, however I'm not sure if this would work on multi-value field like fix version. Therefore please test it on the test environment before launching on the production ;)

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueFieldConstants
import java.util.List
import com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.User
import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager

User user = ComponentManager.getInstance().getJiraAuthenticationContext().getUser()
FormField formFixVersions = getFieldById("fixVersions")
FormField formProject = getFieldById("project")

if (formProject.getValue().contains("XXXXX-the-5-digit-code-of-your-project"))
    {formFixVersions.setFormValue("Your-desired-version")
    }
else
    {formFixVersions.setFormValue("")
    }

You can get the 5 digit code of your project for example from the projects administration screen, when you hover over "edit" links on the project list.

Liz Neiley August 20, 2013

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately at this time, we do not have the Behaviours plugin. I will be going with making the field required and setting a change in business process to make sure the reporting is accurate.

Suggest an answer