Is there a way to default the Fix Version for a project?

I am a newer admin user to JIRA. I have searched several pages and couldn't find the answer. I'm under a timeline to get this address. I would like to default the fix version on the project because right now most of them are blank. I have updated the existing ones, but would like to prevent this from happening in the future. While I can require the field, I would like to default it to save users time.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

you can't set default values for system fields for this feature issue has submitted

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-4812

you can try with JavaScript or using post function you can fill the version

Thank you for the response and the link to the request.

As far as I can tell, you can't set the Fix Version via post function either.

I think you could do something like this with Behaviours plugin.

You set a certain scripted behaviour depending on values of desired fields.

We use almost identical script to set summary depending on issuetype chosen, however I'm not sure if this would work on multi-value field like fix version. Therefore please test it on the test environment before launching on the production ;)

import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueFieldConstants
import java.util.List
import com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api.User
import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager

User user = ComponentManager.getInstance().getJiraAuthenticationContext().getUser()
FormField formFixVersions = getFieldById("fixVersions")
FormField formProject = getFieldById("project")

if (formProject.getValue().contains("XXXXX-the-5-digit-code-of-your-project"))
    {formFixVersions.setFormValue("Your-desired-version")
    }
else
    {formFixVersions.setFormValue("")
    }

You can get the 5 digit code of your project for example from the projects administration screen, when you hover over "edit" links on the project list.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately at this time, we do not have the Behaviours plugin. I will be going with making the field required and setting a change in business process to make sure the reporting is accurate.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 16, 2018 in Jira

Looking for anyone who made the switch to Data Center

The Jira Marketing team is putting together an ebook on migrating to Data Center. We're looking for pro tips on how you staffed your project team and organized your Proof of Concept. Share yo...

1,179 views 16 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you