Is there a way to customize the login page separately from the system dashboard?

Alastair McBain February 29, 2016

The login page seems to pull gadgets from the System Dashboard, and I'm fine with having gadgets there like the Introduction gadget. However I'd like to have an internal dashboard and an external dashboard so things that are only relevant to people after they've logged in are not shown on the login page.

As it stands it seems like the login page grabs two gadgets from the left column of the System Dashboard to display. I enabled and added the Text gadget and removed the Introduction gadget in the left column and the login page showed the Text gadget, which I only wanted internally. I then added the Custom Content gadget (set to a webpage) below the Text gadget and that also showed up on the homepage.

When I re-added the Introduction gadget above the Text gadget the login page strangely showed only the Introduction gadget and the Custom Content gadget, skipping over the Text gadget.

If I cannot manage the login dashboard's borrowing of the System Dashboard, is there a way to set a default non-System dashboard for all users?

(I know I can just create a non-System dashboard and share it with everyone and just have them select it but they'd be unlikely to bother.)

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

You can opt to hack and customized the "login.jsp" file in the JIRA installation diretory and do your updates there. I have done this before.

Alastair McBain March 7, 2016

Does this persist across updates or is it something that would have to be redone every once in a while?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2016

The change persist. If you upgrade your JIRA instance, the login.jsp will be overwritten (since the whole $JIRA_HOME directory will be overwritten). This is the time you will have to update the login.jsp again.

Note: Do not copy/paste the old login.jsp to the new JIRA version as there maybe updates with the login.jsp

Alastair McBain March 7, 2016

Right. Given what I've found elsewhere I think this is as good as I'm going to be able to do on this until it gets on their radar that people want to make the login page different from the System Dashboard. I'm going to accept this answer.

Thank you. smile 

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2016

Glad to have helped!

0 votes
Phillip Ponzer [Cprime]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2017

You can also disable the login gadget entirely by editing your jira-config.properties file and adding this:

jira.disable.login.gadget=true
0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2016

I believe I'll be looking for something like this too to explain or redirect users for access / password issues.  I don't want this stuff showing up on the main System Dashboard as well as the login dashboard. 

Suggest an answer