Is there a way to create a Sprint Backlog, not a Product Backlog?

Joe Costanza October 12, 2015

Hello,

I've been asked to help create a classic Sprint Backlog in JIRA, associated with the Sprint. This would be different from the Product Backlog we are already using. Additionally, a requested behavior is that once a Sprint is closed/ended, the unfinished tickets in the now closed Sprint would automatically move to the next Sprint's backlog.  Is there a way to do this in JIRA? 

We are on JIRA v6.4.9 and JIRA Agile v6.7.11

Thanks!

2 answers

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2015

That is exactly how it works in JIRA Agile.

Not sure how you have set up the product backlog but sprint backlogs are usually separate from product backlog. They are the same only if the team is working only on a single product and every one is 100% dedicated to it, which is not the case with many!

0 votes
Alan Parkinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2015

It's not clear what is missing from you JIRA Agile usage as Jobin has already pointed out.

If you need to add another level of organization I often use "labels" on Issues and modify the boards JQL filters to use the labels. I've blogged my usage of labels in Sprint Planning if you want an example: https://try.behave.pro/blog/agile/tips/2015/280/jira-agile-sprint-planning-howto.html 

Suggest an answer