Is there a way to connect MS Excel to Jira, to have real time values for result matching, certain search queries? Possibly free add on's, if any.

Aditya Aggarwal November 15, 2015

Is there a way to connect MS Excel to Jira, to have real time values for result matching, certain search queries? Possibly free add on's, if any.

3 answers

0 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2015

Aditya,

What are you trying to achieve with MS Excel that you likely can't already with JIRA? In our shop we've had an ongoing campaign to STOMP OUT discrete and static documents. With well crafted views using widgets and various queries coupled with using Confluence to display JIRA along with other relevant data, we really don't need it much any longer and things run much smoother and more removed from "management by inbox" than ever before.

Lemme know.. maybe I can help you find another way around your problem.

mike

Sarthak Sharma March 20, 2020

Hi Mike,

I am trying to get the List of issues and their inward and outward dependencies

So for example i might need the below format for analysis for a project.

Issue : Issue name : Linked Issue : Link Type : Project : Project : Program name

Can i achieve this view or analysis on JIRA?

Regards

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2015

You can export JIRA search queries to Excel in regular intervals with the Excel Automation Plugin

Technically speaking, it is not real-time, but you can flexibily define the frequency of the exports. You can go down to seconds, and have a XLSX file be written to your filesystem in every 5 seconds, for instance.

Kathleen Meesey July 10, 2020

I don't want to export - this dumps un-formatted formula data into a spreadsheet or .csv file.  I don't want to have to redo everything every time I export.  Doesn't Atlassian have an ODBC or J driver to Excel?  Can't imagine you don't have a way to directly tied Excel into the JIRA fields for reporting.

Kathleen Meesey July 10, 2020

Our system is EXTREMELY locked down -i'm not allowed to use the Marketplace or any outside tools.  If i have to export everything I might as well just manually input data into the spreadsheet. 

JIRA dashboards are pretty but they don't give me what i need which is why i have to go outside JIRA to collate the data.

0 votes
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2015

If your back-end is MySQL, you could request a read-only account and connect via ODBC.

Suggest an answer