Is there a way to bind boards ?

Vincent Lyon May 30, 2017

Hi community,
I was wondering if there was a way to "bind" two boards.

I'm currently working with User Stories, each divided in several scenarios.
Each scenario is sub-divided in 3 Sub-tasks (always the same : conception, execution, and search of parameters).
I have a board (let's call it Story Board) that has the User Stories as Stories (JIRA type) and the Sub-tasks (JIRA type)

You could see these Sub-tasks as "global" sub-tasks that regroup the sub-tasks of each scenario of the story. For instance, US 12 has 4 scenarios. Then in the Story Board, we would have Story 12 and Sub-tasks Conception, Execution and Search. Conception regroups the conception sub-tasks of the 4 scenarios (in terms of time and points). Same thing for Execution and Search.

In this board, I don't see the scenarios, as this board is for a general view of the project.

I created a board (let's call it Scenario Board) in which I would have the User Stories as Epics (JIRA type), scenarios as Stories (JIRA type) and the sub-tasks as Sub-tasks (JIRA type). This board is here to have a more precise view of the project. Its usage would be only for the team.

So, what I'd like to do is getting the summaries of the Stories in the Sprint of Story Board, and create Epics in Scenario Board with theses summaries. Then I would "manually" create the scenarios (Stories), as there is not the same number of them between the different stories.
As for the sub-tasks, I'd like to create them automatically after a naming convention, as there are 3 for each and every scenario (and the are always the same, as mentionned before).

Are there add-ons that can help do such things ? And where can I find them ?

Thanks in advance.
Vincent

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

I'm afraid this approach simply won't work.  Take a step back and think it through:

You have an issue which represents a real-life thing that needs doing (e.g. "Build a new penguin pool").  That will naturally break down into "Conception - designing a pool", "Execution - building a pool" and "Search - finding some penguins".  So you've got a user story and three sub-tasks.

Now.  Boards are a view of a set of issues.  So, starting with your Scenario board, you select the project and see your Story and sub-tasks on it fine.

But then you contradict all of that with your "Epics" board.  The Stories are Stories, not Epics.  The boards are looking at the same issue.  It's an issue of type Story.  There's no "make it look like another type" option, and it would be confusing because people would be talking about the same things using different terms.

But, keep it simple.  Your "scenario board" is fine if you don't try the confusing renaming.  Imagine your Scenario board simply says "project = xyz".  Your story board can say "project = xyz and issuetype in standardissuetypes()".  You won't see the subtasks.

Also, as an aside, you won't see the sub-tasks in the planning view of either board, as they're useless for planning.

Suggest an answer