Is there a way to automatically add a specific participant to an issue when it is initially created?

Bob Hester February 28, 2017

I am trying to automate the adding a specific participant to a service desk issue  when it is initially created.

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2017

Bob,

can you provide more info. Are there multiple users you want to assign issues to and if so based upon what criteria? If a single person then simply make them project lead and assign all new issues to them. If multiple, you could consider using Components and setting up component leads and making the Component field required on the portal. Again, more info might allow for better help here.

Bob Hester February 28, 2017

Jack, thank you for your quick response.  I am still relatively new to using JIRA Service desk. 

The particular participate is actually another customer who is not part of the servicedesk team, but a manager of the customer base of which we are servicing.  The manager wants to be able to see all of their end users' requests as they are serviced.  I thought about making the manager a watcher, but I didn't see a way to automate it either.  The manager doesn't need to work the requests, only be able to monitor their progress.  There may be an easy way to accomplish this, but I am sure what would be the best method to accomplish this..  Any suggestions?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2017

Bob,

sorry for delay getting back.

Ok so that detail helped a great deal. So basically you have a customer that wants to monitor all tickets opened by their organization. I'm assuming that this will translate to a 1:1 relationship between organization and project. That is, the individual wants to know about various (all?) activities associated with an entire project. Assuming this is the case then you could do the following thru automation:

1. Create a custom rule
  2. Set WHEN trigger to be whichever activities that he/she wants to be notified on. For sure Created, Resolved and maybe Commented, etc.
  3. Skip IF trigger (defaults to any)
  4. Set THEN to "Send email" and enter users email.

You can play with this a bit and qualify the events a bit so that the individual isn't overwhelmed with email which could happen depending on the activity. I expect that, if the above is enabled, the user will eventually ask you to dial it back a bit. You may wish to have a conversation or even screen share session with them when configuring this.

Option 2: It appears that you are on the server version and not cloud? If so I recommend looking at the marketplace for plugins. There are a number that likely will help but I cannot confirm. A couple I found are - Autowatch and Workflow Essentials. I suspect that the later would prove to be more flexible and provide greater value but you need to do a bit of research. Of course there is alway Scriptrunner which many folks use and is quite powerful. All of these you can try before buying.

Good Luck!

Suggest an answer